Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 15, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've done soms searches on aguilar stuff, basically found that the 112 is a nice cab especially if you have 2 of em.

I wanna know what you guys think, overall construction, quality, customer service, how the cabs have handled your band practices and gigs (indoor and outdoor)

I have really liked the GS212 nice semi compact only 70 pounds, and it can handle a good amount of power.

I also read that 2 gs112's would go lower then a GS212, I read that they also sound more fuller and have more definition.

If I were to get a GS112 I'd get 2 but most likely used.

I'd power em with a tech21 sansamp and a qsc 1450.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

-Rob

2. I have a 212 I like a lot. I've done numerous bar gigs (no PA) with it, happily. I probably would prefer the 2 x 112 setup. Consider whether you want one or two tweeters. Be cognizant of the built-in EQ. There's somewhat of a dip in the mids, that you may or may not want to compensate for (turn bass and treble down on sansamp). I think it will pair up with the sansamp nicely, although I haven't tried that combination. Both pieces of gear are going in the same direction, as far as kind of a pleasing old bass sound pumpin' some booty. They may end up being too much together, but my guess is it'll be thumbs up.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Aguilar has a 112 with out a tweeter don't they?

I would see if I could maybe snag a used one of those and pair it up with a regular gs112.

Who knows, endless posibilities.

4. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    they are with tweeters..

guys just a quick qn ..

does GS112 come in 4 and 8ohm?

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, they sell a no-tweeter version.
    No, the 112's don't come in 4ohm.

I have a GS212 that I really like. I've heard about the 112's (supposedly) going lower as well, but I find it hard to believe :bag: . This cab goes low. I agree that it's a bit mid-shy, but I don't have too much trouble dialing in a delicious, usable sound with it.

6. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’ve had a GS212 for about 2 years. Before I bought it I emailed Dave Boonshoft from Aguilar. Here’s what he said:

"The 212 and the 112 are tuned the same. This relates to the enclosure tuning. They also use the same drivers, tweeters and crossovers. Our goal was to offer the same sound in two different packages. That being said, they can’t and don’t sound exactly the same. Having two enclosures instead of one will sound a little different even if the internal volume and tunings are the same. They are very close in my opinion. To my ears, the 212 is slightly more “even” sounding in the mids, while two of the GS 112 ‘s are slightly more punchy sounding, with the mids more forward. Anyway, that’s the way I hear it. Hearing the mids (including the low mids) more focused might sound “deeper” to some. Please note that the frequency response curves of the two cabs look identical (up 3 dB for the 212) on the computer readout; but hey, we’re musicians and can hear slight differences."​

I went with the 212 since I figured that would be my preferred configuration on 90% or more gigs. Buying again though, I’d probably go with two 112’s. The 212 is not a bad cab to move, and it easily fits on the back seat of my car, but it’s still a pain to carry up stairs by myself. Also, I’ve been playing more lower volume / smaller room gigs lately where a 112 would probably cut it.

- John

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had my 2 GS112 for about 2 years and I like them a lot. They cna get very loud and punchy provided with enough power. These cabs really sing the more power you give them, IMO. They are very easy to carry and are greattly constructed. I've contacted Aguilar on a couple of occasons and really have to say that they really care about their customers or even if you still dont own any of their products. They are very objective and friendly in answering any questions that you may have. How many people can say that they've actually talked or have emailed and gotten a response form the Owner of their bass product company??? I really think Aguilar is a great company and make great products. Try the GS112 if you can they are great. I have 2, but I slightly prefer 10" speakers and I bought a GS410; awesome cab!!!

The 12s sound better to me when you're not up-close. They project more IMO. And the GS112 are 2" deeper that the GS212 and maybe they can sound a little bit bigger or bassier. They now also make a tweeterless GS112.

I can only say the quality and service is there, but only your ears can decide as always. I hope this helped...

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ya thanks alot guys, all of the replies have helped out alot, not only am i gassing for a 2 agi 112's I'm also gassing for a yorki 800.

Thanks alot guys!

-Rob

9. This is the major reason I have 12s. They fill the room better than 10s, and I'm more or less ready to make that a blanket statement. 10s shoot a tight sound straight ahead. There are weird dead-spots where the waveforms cross. 12s come closer to uniform omnipresence. What your rig sounds like a few feet directly in front of it, is largely irrelevant compared to its overall function of providing sound to all the places it needs to.

10. This has been my experience as well, and the GS112 in particular really seems to throw the sound out there.

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    +1

I've been using my 2 GS112s (or just one for my weekly quiet jazz gig) for years now, and as great as they sounded I and my back don't miss my GS210/GS410 cabs at all. I've used the GS112s in every situation from small restaurants to a 1500 seat cavernous club to a 3000 seat outdoor venue, and they're all I've ever needed.

Not to pick a bone with anyone, but I really don't get the whole "scooped" or "shy" mids comments often attributed to Aguilar cabs. To my ears that couldn't be further from the truth. Perhaps the cats that think so just like a mid-heavy sound, and find that they're boosting mids in the EQ to get what they want. I dunno...but as always, YMMV. Gary Willis told me the main reason he switched from Eden to Aguilar is that he didn't dig the scooped mids. But hey, you can't listen with anyone's ears other than your own.

12. would the volume compare to a 4x10?

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    That depends. Two GS112s are capable of being significantly louder than a single 8 ohm GS410 cab. That's my only real-life comparison. I've never owned a 4 ohm 410.

With either my AG500 or (especially) my DB750 amps, the 2 GS112s are way louder than I ever need in any situation. I've always been a bring-more-power-than-you-need kinda guy. It's all about headroom IMO. With either amp, my GS112s seem to say to me "is that all you got?" :D

14. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I just noticed that neither the gs112 or the gs112nt have side handles at all.

Does it make it hard picking them up and loading them into your car or anything?

-Rob

15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    There certainly is a very sturdy and comfy side handle on both models.

I'd also recommend purchasing the awesomely plush padded cover.

16. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    What about the combo model with the 500sc head in it?

I don't know if 500 watts would be loud enough for me, I've never tried anything aguliar, so I don't know if they are loud as crap, or go a little overboard on what they say there heads can put out.

Hopefully they are really loud, cause I'm digging that cute little 112 ag500sc combo alot, I'd just get another gs112 if I needed more volume.

How much watts or headroom to you guys pin up with your GS112's?

I head anywhere from 250-350 would be good, and that the more power you let em have the better they sound, which seems like alot of the new boutique cabs do, allow more power to go into em and sound better.

It would be cool to have a power+pre setup and run 4 gs112's 2 per channel.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Dude, you are playing a Peavey TNT. The 500 watt Aguilar will be PLENTY loud.

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    xb100,

The AG500 is a very conservative 500 watts into 4 ohms and 250 watts into 8 ohms. Each GS112 is an 8 ohm load, so two add up to a 4 ohm load. IMO you really need the full 500 watts out of the AG500 for it to be really LOUD. 250 watts will not give you the required headroom. The combo with a single 12" speaker will only give you 250 watts, so you'd need to add a single GS112 or GS112NT (N-o T-weeter) to get the full 500 watts. There is a 212 combo that is rated at 4 ohms so you get the full power, but IMO it's better to go as modular as possible. That way you can upgrade the amp without having to buy new speaker cabs and vice versa, and you have a much more flexible rig.

For the really big gigs I use my Aguilar DB750 with the two GS112s. That's 750 watts, enough to weaken the foundation of your house. With two 4 ohm speaker cabs, the DB750 puts out 975 watts...enough to blow the house off the foundation! :D

Confused? Check out all the specs at Aguilar's site http://aguilaramp.com.

19. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Just making sure, rather hear it straight from the guys who own the stuff then shell out the $$ and be disapointed.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Understood. I was just saying, Ive seen you post alot of places about how your Peavey can keep up with two guitarists and a drummer. That being the case, I'm sure you'll be really pleased with the Aguilar. The above poster is right though, either the 112 combo with a 1 12 extension cab, or a 212 combo would be your best bet.