1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, May 3, 2010.

1. Was just having a quick browse over at BestBassGear and see they have some aguilar pickups coming in soon. The Aguilar AG 4J-60. (J-type)

Wonder what they'll be like. Anyone have these on order?

http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-ag-4j-jazz-bass-pickups.htm

(sorry if it's been covered before, did a quick search, but all that was coming up was the Aguilar preamps in this forum)

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm curious as well, so here's a bump!

4. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    +1Bump

5. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    Dave Avenius from aguilar was playing bass on a session at my studio and had a pair in his bass... Sounded great, can't wait to try them out.

John

6. curiosity bump. thinking about putting some in my geddy lee, want to hear some reviews first though.

7. JerBo

JerBo

Jul 25, 2009
    ATL
    bump

8. JerBo

JerBo

Jul 25, 2009
    ATL
    Nobody? Really???

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I tried these pickups in an Alleva C and Mike Lull bass at NAMM and they sounded really good. A little scoopy sounding in the Alleva, which was probably the preamp voicing because it was a nice bass, and they sounded better in the Lull.

They just sounded like great great pickups and versatile. Punchy and warm.

I must say they were very vintage sounding, but not lo-fi or harsh. And they really sounded great through a DB751 and DB cabs. To my ears, they are voiced almost exactly the same as this rig, so the outcome is a really great sound.

They should be kept in consideration with Nordies and the like, but I don't think they are superior really. I didn't prefer them over Mike Lull's custom Seymour Duncans that usually go in his basses.

IMO, IME, YMMV

10. LiamWilson

LiamWilson

Oct 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Basses, Ampeg, Ernie Ball Strings
    I have a set of the AG-70's and an OBP-2 preamp sitting in front of me.
    The preamp is definitely going into a 2002ish Fender American Standard Jazz Deluxe. Right now there's a pair of Quarter Pounder's running passive, and I need MORE POWER!
    I want to try the Aguilar pickups, and will...if only to be a test subject for the rest of you. I'm just not sure in what order just yet.
    Advice, persuasions?

11. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    Tomika on Agu '60s:

12. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    those clips sound amazing

13. LiamWilson

LiamWilson

Oct 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Basses, Ampeg, Ernie Ball Strings
    I like what I hear so far...
    I just got through the first rehearsal, somewhat smaller rig than what they're going to get the most airtime through...but otherwise, I thought the preamp and the pickups both sounded pretty sick!
    Lots of nice sizzle.
    I'm used to humbuckers, so the hum caught me off guard, otherwise, I back 'em!

14. I got a pair of these pickups, they have been sitting on my desk for the past few months. They are being installed in a CIJ Jazz, will let you know the outcome when i get my bass back next week.

15. The pups in my '75 jazz had to be replaced because they were getting too microphonic. I was a bit reluctant to do it, because the bass sounded so good...
    Yesterday evening had my first gig with the AG 4J-70's installed, and it was bliss! All the character was still there, but fatter and tighter. Like my bass had a rejuvenation or something. I'm really happy with them!

16. I would LOVE to hear some more opinions on the Aguilar's take on the 70's.
    Anyone else get to try em yet?

17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just got a set of the 60s Js and put them in a nice ash/rosewood J. They're good pickups, not as snarly as nordstrands, not as fat/juicy as duncan AIIs, sort of clear and extended with lots of top voiced pretty high up there, but not shiny or modern at all. I find myself rolling off the tone knob a bit, which is rare for me. A really nice "centered" take on a 60s J pickup, on the bright but smooth end of things.

I agree, tonally they do sort of remind me of the DB750 sound.

Oddly they did not come with mounting hardware ...

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    dont know about the 60's set but i emailed about the 70's set and theyre winding that set to 7.75k neck and around 8k for the bridge. if the 60's set is anything like that than thats less wire than either nordstrand or the average set of antiquity 2's. that low of wind is also more vintage correct and your description sounds kind of like what old, not quite as hot as today fender pickups sound.

19. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yeah sounds right. They still have good output.