1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar Pre amps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 5strings5senses, Jan 25, 2013.

1. 5strings5senses

5strings5senses

Dec 27, 2012
    Whats the best Aguilar pre amp to put in a modern jazz bass 4 string? is it the OBP-1 or OBP-2.

2. Personal preference. There is no "best."

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The OPB-1 is boost-only, with highs control around 4 KHz; the OPB-2 is boost and cut, with highs at around 6.5 KHz.

Boost and cut is more versatile, but some people like the Sadowsky-style boost-only EQ.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I have an OBP-1 in a single-pickup instrument. The pickup is near the MM sweet spot - which is to say, it's not too close to the bridge, and it's not too close to the neck. For that reason, the unboosted sound is pretty mid-rich. In that scenario, I think the 2-band boost-only works pretty well.

5. 5strings5senses

5strings5senses

Dec 27, 2012
    OK cool. So the OBP-3 wouldn't really do well in a 2 pick up 3 knob jazz bass?

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Nobody said anything about the OBP-3. You'd have to use stack knobs on the Jazz plate, but other than that, the OBP-3 should work well for a Jazz.

Or was that a typo?

Basically, you need to choose whether or not you need to be able to cut as well as boost. If you do, then you've eliminated the OBP-1. Then you need to decide whether you want two-band (OBP-1 or OBP-2) or three-band (OBP-3).

7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I've used several 3 bands, and to be honest, I've come to wonder why. If you consider the mid as your 'baseline' (pardon the pun) you can add or subtract bass/treble to it. If you add 25% bass, 25% treble and 25% mid, what have you accomplished other than increasing the gain? Isn't that what the volume control is for?

8. 5strings5senses

5strings5senses

Dec 27, 2012
    True I was just asking because of how many knobs I have, because on the modern its on neck volume, blend and master tone. But I want something thats going to cut through, so I guess the OBP-2 wold be the best option seeing as I don't have a stack knob.

9. Mr Guy

Mr Guy

Sep 27, 2010
    Tone Hammer pedal. All the features and more, works with all of your basses too, not just one. Can make a J incredibly punchy (or whatever you need really).