Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Jul 25, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    While picking the brains of tb - ers i had another subjective question
    i recall playng throuh an aggie 680 pre and i was floored by how good it sounded
    about a year ago i got an aggie 659 as a part of a complex trade at a guitar show
    I subesequently sold the aggie 659 to boogiebass
    while i thougt that the aggie a very nice preamp it didn't jive with my recolecction of the 680's sound
    besides, in side by side comparison with my alembic f1-x and my demeter 201 the aggie659 sounded a lot mushier, sluggish and not as articlate then the other pres

my quick question is . . . am i crazy? has anyone else noticed that the 680 and the 659 sound different??????? :rolleyes:

just to keep it pure limit discussions of other preamps to a minimum (well a minimum thst you can live with :p )

2. You're not crazy. There have been several threads on this topic in the past comparing the two. I own a DB680, but haven't played with the DB659 so I can't contribute anything based on personal experience, however this thread is probably a good place to start... DB680 vs. DB659

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I wasn't that impressed with the 659 - was kind of a mushy sound as you say, in the mids IIRC. The 680 is a different beast altogether, has that huge tube warmth on the low end but it's articulate in the mids.