1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Jul 25, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    While picking the brains of tb - ers i had another subjective question
    i recall playng throuh an aggie 680 pre and i was floored by how good it sounded
    about a year ago i got an aggie 659 as a part of a complex trade at a guitar show
    I subesequently sold the aggie 659 to boogiebass
    while i thougt that the aggie a very nice preamp it didn't jive with my recolecction of the 680's sound
    besides, in side by side comparison with my alembic f1-x and my demeter 201 the aggie659 sounded a lot mushier, sluggish and not as articlate then the other pres

my quick question is . . . am i crazy? has anyone else noticed that the 680 and the 659 sound different??????? :rolleyes:

just to keep it pure limit discussions of other preamps to a minimum (well a minimum thst you can live with :p )

2. You're not crazy. There have been several threads on this topic in the past comparing the two. I own a DB680, but haven't played with the DB659 so I can't contribute anything based on personal experience, however this thread is probably a good place to start... DB680 vs. DB659

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I wasn't that impressed with the 659 - was kind of a mushy sound as you say, in the mids IIRC. The 680 is a different beast altogether, has that huge tube warmth on the low end but it's articulate in the mids.