Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ldiezman, Jun 8, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well I am in need of a preamp. I've played alot of good ones but I haven't been able to get my hands on any aguilar gear. With all the rave that these bad boys get it really is depressing that I can't even look at one unless its on the internet. Anyways back to preamps

I was looking at the DB 680 and the DB659 and While the DB 659 is noticably smaller and is "less" of a preamp than the 680, i was wondering if I will lose out on the aguilar sound or quality if I go for the 659? Any imput would be great. I have narrowed my choice of preamps down to 3 now and it will be another three weeks before I can order my preamp. thanks

Jim

2. I've been wondering the same thing.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Well,

the 659 isnt as versatile as the 680. the 680 has a sweepable parametric EQ that allows you morph your tone to your hearts content. and dont quote me on this but the 680 has 4 gain stages, while the 659 has 3. i'm not sure about those numbers, but i do know that the 659 lacks one more stage. but all in all, the 680 is just luscious. i'm a total fan of its sound. dial in enough low mids, and you get the punchiest yet hifi tone, you'll ever hear. you cant really do that with the 659, but if you're a fan of that "hifi, Ampeg on steriods sound" of the Aguilar, the 659 will still get you there in spades.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    so i guess the 659 is ok but the 680 is the really big much better developed brother huh? I've been trying to find a 680 used.. but i haven't had any luck... oh well

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well, I say the 659 is a better bargain. To me, EQ is useless in any amount beyond the bass' onboard, and a bass/mid/treble arrangement on the amp. If you need more, I would want a parametric (actually parametric, not like in amps these days) or graphic outboard EQ. I really see little point in so much EQ at the amp as people use these days...

Sorry for ranting, but, I don't like EQ :D

As for the ag's, the 680 isn't useless, it probably sounds better, not because of the EQ, but becasue of the design.

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Just wondering, how do the preamps in the Aguilar heads measure up to the stand-alone preamps? Anyone ever try using one of them with a separate poweramp?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, most quality preamps in the single rack is pretty much all about its particular voicing.

honestly, the 659's EQ or any other single rack space preamp seems pretty useless to me, too. even on my demeter i keep the EQ flat and do all the shaping from my Elrick's 3 band. but the flat tone on its sooo delicious, i couldnt really care if the EQ did much.

But on my 680, i leave the EQ flat on the Elrick and do the tonal shaping from the pre itself. it just sounds soooo good. dialing in a punchie low mid is sooo musical and sweet. not to mention bold and big. it really is in a class by itself.

if you're patient, a 680 will show up on ebay, bassgear, or TB's own FS forum, sooner or later.

8. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I found a few of them on ebay when I was preamp hunting a few months ago... usually they had a reserve of $900-1000, but someone offered me one for $750. If only I'd had some money... :(

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    $750!! :eek:

for the 680???

10. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    yeah, it was a pretty good price but keep in mind that it's still about two and a half times the cost of a used Demeter or Alembic. I ended up going with a beat up Yamaha PB-1, which fit my financial restraints at the time much better.

11. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    BTW, there's a DB680 on Bassgear.com now. Buy it so I don't end up blowing my life savings on it.

12. Would the single rack spack one be a great preamp that one would not tire of? Does it sound excellent? thanks.