Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jul 25, 2002.

1. What's your opinion of Aguilar preamps? When I was looking at preamps in a store, (I got an ampeg SVP-pro), the guy told me about all the brands they had, but I noticed the aguilar ones (they had both) were not mentioned. I asked about them, and he said he didn't like them at all, and doesn't know why people buy them. He said something about Aguilar preamps only sounding good with Aguilar poweramps and speaker cabs.

What do you you think about this?

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hogwash.

Mine sounds good (great) with and without accompanying Aguilar gear.

3. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I think the guy you talked to is on crack or tone deaf...or maybe a little of both.

Peace

4. It's called a SPIF (Sales Performance Incentive Funds) -- additional commission for items on which the company makes more margin. Sometimes new companies, or those offering new product lines, offer SPIFs to get some traction in the marketplace.

Economic incentive is a good thing for the salesman. Not necessarily for the buyer. But sometimes, it gets the salesman to offer a good new product. Try before you buy.

And all of us who are purchasing gear should be aware of these practices. They aren't good or bad, they just ARE. Caveat emptor.

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I use my DB 680 with Eden cabs and it's fantastic!

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    It's simple really. Not everyone likes Aguilar. I don't either and that's OK.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've only heard the DB 680 powered by a QSC PLX 3002 going into some Eden DXLT cabs. It sounded good to me but I don't know if that's the direction that I would go in if I were shopping for a preamp. I'm actually pretty happy with what I have at the moment but I could make a change in the future.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I havent had the chance to try out any Aguilar gear yet.

How does the tone compare to that of Eden?

Im curious as to whether its similar, and how it is.

Replies stating that its better or worse wont really help, and I can search archives for that.

Peace
    Nick

9. I've seen a lot of bass rigs in my day, and an Aguilar pre mated to just about anything will sound great. IMO, the best preamps currently being produced.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not to generalize, but

aggie's have that vintage ampeg tone with a healthy dalloup of hifi. i own a DB680, and love it.

Eden's are warmer, warmer, and fuzzier sounding like a cozy comforter in winter. some guys either love it or hate it like myself. i just think its toooo warm to the point of "blanket" like for me.

but like Pete said, that's ok. ;)

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks Joker!

Exactly the kind of response I was hopping for!

I happen to like that overly warmness, and shy away from the ampeg tone, so it doesnt sound like what I want, but Id still like more input.

Anyone else?

Peace
    Nick

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Tone is one thing ( I like the Aggie tone) but perhaps not the only thing. I might be getting into fuzzy territory here, but one thing that struck me when I started playing the aggie amps is thier dynamic responsiveness. It might be a function of a good tube circuit, or ample headroom, but there is alot of volume available under the fingers without reaching for a knob. Previous amps I have owned didn't respond like the aggie. For example, my last pre- was the Eden, and though good sounding and feature laden, The Aggie just has more going on dynamically.

gotta ramble on..

does a real SVT have this sort of reponsiveness? Am I making sense with this post?

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats interesting.

So what your saying is your playing dynamics are more dramatic through the Aguilar?

Sounds like what Id want, especially for fretless playing.

What are your opinions on its suitablility for a rock band setting?

Peace
    Nick