Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar - qsc - bergantino ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Feb 21, 2004.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi there,

I'm running a Aguilar db680 pre-amp into a QSC 3402 power amp with a Bergantino HT322. I'm a bit new to this rig so I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm running 1100w in one stereo channel. First of all I'm not sure how much the Berg will be able to handle. I've started by running the QSC all the way up and then set the gain on the pre-amp around 10.00 and the master around 1-2 o'clock. It just doesn't seem loud enough for some gigs. On the QSC the Signal light is on and -20 db flashes when playing. Should I crank the pre-amp (master/gain?) some more?. I know the Berg is 750w RMS, but is this the peak of the cab? In the past I've used Ampeg 6x10 and it has 600w RMS but a peak on 1200w. Does the Berg also have a higher peak than the rated 750w? :bassist:

2. You should have plenty of power even from a single channel of that setup, but if you're only lighting the -20 LEDs it sounds like you could stand to run a stronger signal into the amp. What kind of bass are you using, and have you got the selector set to "active" on the Aggie?

Remember, the DB680 manual states "nine times out of ten you'll use the passive input".

Only the very hottest of active basses seem to need the input switch set to active.

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    When I used my Ampeg SVT-Cl I never had any volume problems, this was only 300 watts, but shouldn't a 1100 solid state seem just as loud. Do you think the Bergantino will be a great match with the SVT-cl.?

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Oddio,

I use a Musicman Sterling and use the passive intput. I'm just a bit afraid of putting too much presure on the cab.

5. At -20db, you arn't putting out much power. At 0db you're at 1,100, at -3 you're at 550, at -6 you're at 275 etc. etc. The QSC 3402 is designed to need and take a lot of input signal. (Bob Lee can explain this better than I can), Crank up the master on the pre-amp. That should do it.

6. Just make certain that your QSC has the -30Hz or -50Hz filter is turned on as well as the clip limiter. My understanding is that the Berg is a bit power-hungry, and you have plenty of power to drive it without worry if the above conditions are true.

7. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    thanks for your replies, I'm gigging tonight so i'll try giving it some more juice, hope it helps, i'll let you nkow how it goes...thanks

8. Good luck with the gig! Do keep us posted. Oh... and remember to put a fresh battery into your bass beforehand.

9. Seems like I've got a mini version of what you have: Aguilar DB 659, QSC RMX 850, and Bergantino EX 112. I get plenty of volume. It seems like you should be getting way more.

10. The RMX 850 is a lot more sensitive than the PLX amp he is using. The big PLX's require a lot more input gain.

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    That is the same rig I use for country music. I use the eden preamp for rock. Keep in mind that with the ag db680 and the berg 322 you get a very powerfull and smooth, clean sound compared to your ampeg rig. You might have to train your ears to this new tone. What I have found is that you are alot louder and room filling than you think. Once you play with your rig go play through another rig and you will see what I mean and I bet you will miss your db680 and 322. To hear yourself on stage better get the mids up a bit. The bass nob I run straight up (or cut a little) and the deep switch to the right (1 +). I use the bright switch as well and put the horn on the cab at half way. Also, leave the front casters on and take the back castors off. The 322 can take the power! To give you an example, The most common 'rock' cab arround here is the 810. Some ampeg, swr and two 410s. Ive seen guys use two 810 cabs (I know of 3 bands like this) and guys who use a 610 and 215 together. I use two 322 and am just as loud if not louder than thease rigs. Two 322s have a approx cone surface area of 380 square inches, one 810 cab has 440 sq in and a 610 cab has 330 sq in. One 322 is 190 sq in and a 118 cab is 185 sq in. All things being equal the 322 is kinda a small cab but it can still keep up with a 610 cab in volume. Tone is a personal taste. lol after reading this, I dont know if I helped. :)

12. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Inazone, thanks for your reply...
    how do you set your gain/master on the db680 and how much do you leave open on the QSC, also, how do you check if the signal going into the QSC is right? thanks again. I know what you mean about the tone, it is amazing, I more or less run everything flat with a tiny boost in the low mids and at 2,4 khz. It's not a tone or cut-issue, only volume.

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I run the gain arround 11:00- 12:00 and the master arround 12:00-2:00. Do a search on my name or in this topic. The people here have helped me with eq settings. I have found that in a live setting you can use the eq to increase your volume and still keep the tone you like. If you are boosting the low mids, try backing off the bass nob just a touch. Playing in a band you wont know the difference as much as when your by yourself. I run the qsc full open and use the limiters and the 30hz filter. Im going to try the 50hz tonight. Ill let you know how that goes.

14. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Just got back from the gig, I gave the QSC some more juice (gain at 1.00 and master at 2.00) and that cured the volume-thing, I only had the QSC on 60% and it was way loud. I even think the sound improved turning up the pre-amp instead of the power amp. My bandmates told me they could hear a difference too! Well, don't know why I didn't try this before, seems obvious know, I guess that my old settings from previous amps is to blame. Thanks for all of your replies, and inazone how did it go with the 50hz on? :)

15. No to hijack your thread, but i am using the same set up but with an Aguilar GS410. Today i ran a crown CE2000 with the Aguilar DB680 and it sounded so much cleaner, more precise(sp), and less colored than the QSC, even my wife noticed the difference.

I wonder if anyone else has A/Bd these 2 poweramps with the DB680.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

I run my HT322 using a bridged PLX1602 with no filters (for larger gigs and no PA support, I do use the Clip Limiter). The 322 can handle quite a bit of juice as long as the user uses some common sense and listens to what the cab is telling them (not implying you don't use common sense -- I'm speaking to the general TB audience).

If the CE2000 has a lower sensitivity rating, you could be getting more volume out of it with the same preamp settings. Louder will usually give the impression of sounding better.

17. Tube pre-amps have a different sound at different gain settings. The PLX 3402 needs 1/2 a volt more juice than the Crown to make the same power. 1.4 volts Crown vs. 1.9 QSC. This means you are running the pre-amp at a higher gain which will color the sound for better or worse.

18. If you are only running the one cab, and you can control the urge to crank it up too high, you should try running the PLX in bridged mono. It doesn't hurt to have a massive amount of headroom.

I've heard the figure of 3X the cab rating as ideal.

Aloha,

Jonathan