Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar question, 750, 728

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Jul 26, 2005.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive done a search and found some good info, but Im still on the fence. I have a db680 pre and I want to get either a 728 for it or get the db750. One of the things I need is volume, wich rig would be louder? I know the weight on the 728 is big but I have other gear for smaller rooms.

Any pros or cons that might help me go one way or the other?
    Thanks.

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I was just in the same position; I had a 680, and decided to move up to a 750. Of course, the type of music makes a difference and there's no doubt you give up some things, such as the 680's parametric EQ, but I am totally thrilled with my decision. The 750 is huge sounding, clean when I want it to be, and a little bit ballsy when necessary. I couldn't be more happy, but you have to listen to the sound of the 750, compare it to the 728 and come to your own conclusion.

My gut feeling after auditioning the two was that the 750, on the whole, was a little bit cleaner and more articulate than the 728 (and that is a huge generalization). That was what I was looking for, and so that's the direction I went. Also important to me was that around here, I couldn't get the 728 new, because I'm sure you know it's not in production. Love the 10 year warranty, although I would guess you could find a "new" 728 around somewhere.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you can find a 728, definately pick it up. It beats the 750 volume wise fairly easily, but the 750 is a bit cleaner if you want that. They are both very good and awesome sounding amps, but if I had the choice, I'd pick up a 728.

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I actually have heard the DB750 + DB728 being used together and it sounded sick!

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    one for the 750, one for the 728 and one for both. Yup, Im still on the fence. :eyebrow: :)

Thanks for the responce guys.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    truth be told, i'm sure both are quite loud enough for most any application. still, these two feel pretty different underneath my fingers.

the 728 has that luscious juicy give that's impossible to find in any SS power section. yet to some, the 728 might be akin to dragging your fingers thru a bowl of molasses. the 750 has a quick responsive punch that's like driving your well tuned turbo charged Skyliner in Gran Turismo 4. while others may miss that weighty all tubey-ness only an all tubey power section can give you.

so what's your poison?

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd take a good old GTO like the 728 over any ricer :p

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    :D
    I think Im going for the 750 but I found out a bit ago the the epi 902ul is coming in. Just when I think Im ready. :eyebrow:
    I still think I'll end up with the 750.
    Thanks

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    True but I think I would rather have a Buell over a Harley. :p

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'll take a classic Indian. Not made anymore either... just like a certain all tube power amp :p

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    :D

btw, I heard the db659 pre is on its way out as well. we shall see.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That sucks... I know tube amps are expensive to make and all, but I wish that I wouldn't have to look used once I finally got enough $ to get a 728. They are just so awesome...

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I never had a 680 or 728, but the 750 rules and rules. I'd go with the 750 for several reasons, two of which are: While heavy, it's WAY lighter than the 680/728 combo; it has four 10-dollar tubes as opposed to a bunch of tubes costing x-hundred dollars for a set and require more frequent replacement. A third, unforeseen reason is it's simpler, yet still gets outrageous tone. But then, it's your back.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Makes me glad I didn't sell mine! :p

Oh, and while the 750 is a dang fine amp, if you were counting votes, chalk one up for the 728! :bassist:

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    too true...

16. I have a 680 and a 750.....I have played the 680 through a LOT of different amps and recently had a chance to play a friends 680/728.....The combo is really good....I think the 680 offers a bit more of a hifi type sound and you have to work a bit harder to get it to sound as good as the 750 sounds on its own......It seems to me that the 750 is a lot more turn it on and play and get a great sound off the bat type of amp......I tried to make the 750 sound bad and literally could not.....extreme settings of EQ and gain do not yield anyting that I would consider bad.....HOWEVER, the Low end CAN rattle your fillings through an EL Whappo!! LOL!!

Unfortunately, I have not tried the 728 through any other pre....I like the 680 with it but it is not my favorite amp with the 680.....I prefer a CA9....728 is very tubey and gooey as mentioned above...sometimes a bit too mushy for me and I LOVE tubes!! The other thing about the 728 is it will require more overall maintenace and investment over time as has also been mentioned and to me it does not sound good enough to justify it....

Munji summed it up very well......I totally agree on all counts....The 750 is a much simpler solution and the tone is fabulous....Gets my vote here....By the way, a Thunderfunk TFB-550 can get really close for 1/3 the weight and less than half the money!! I own both and while I dig the 750, when I am going to do a light duty gig I use the T-Funk and the El Whappo doesn't mind a bit!!!

Peace,

T

17. FYI.... there's an AMAZING deal on a 'new/store demo' 750 at the Groove Shoppe... look in the 'store' page on the site. Man, if those things weren't so honkin' big and heavy, I'd take the plunge myself at that price!

18. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah it heavy... yeah it needs alot of tubes... yeah, it can hurt your back. but the tone is out of this world! Still lighter than an SVT!!

Two great amps, the 728 is not for everybody. If you are hauling out to gigs 4x a week it's gonna suck. The 750 won't be great either. This is a question of would you rather have a Dodge Viper or a Corvette. It's all in how you want your tone...

19. I own both and agree with all of the above. For Tubey warmth and rich tone the 680/728 is IT. The weight was a major downer and the slow response was hard for me to get used to since I'm a SS amp guy. The 680 is now matched to a Stew 2.1 which, together, weighs about the same as the 750.

If I ever end up in a R&B, Punk or straight up rock band with roadies (like that's going to happen), I'd match it with Bergie NV 610 and 215. To me that would be perfect BUT since I live in the real world, I bought the 750 and Love it for it's ease of use and weight (although it's no lightweight).

20. It seems to me that there must have been something wrong with that 750. Of course, as so many others have said, BOTH sound great. I happily lug a DB750 to most gigs. It has great "set-and-forget tone", tons of power and headroom for any situation. For special occasions I do manage to bear the weight of the DB680 + DB728 for that thick, buttery and warm tube sound with plenty of tube growl like a true vintage SVT. It all depends on the tone you're after.