Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lesfleanut, Feb 4, 2002.

1. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Hey, whats up. Im looking to get a preamp for my spector NS2000-Q5. Im looking at two aguilar preamps. My first question is what is the diff between the onboard OBP1 and the outboard DB924, other that one is onboard and the other is not. which one is better. If I get the onboard will it be easy to install or will I have to have it done for me. If I get it installed at a shop how much will it cost.and what type of sound am I going to get out of these. thanks in advance.:)

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    anybody out there?

3. 66jazzbass

66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    Unless you're fairly skilled at soldering and good at following directions you'll need to have a tech install the OBP-1. I've installed a couple and it was not super easy but I got through it. Conversly I have a 924 for my upright and vintage basses and all you need to do is plug into it and go. The nice thing about the 924 is that you can use it for different basses.

4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    so does the 924 give you the same sound as the OBP-1. if so ill get one of those. did you notice a big improvment in sound when you hooked up the preamp? thanks for the help:)

5. 66jazzbass

66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    The sound of the two units is the same. When I called the guys at Aguilar about these before buying they told be that it is exactly the same preamp but one goes in the bass and the other is simply in it's own chasis. The sound is incredible. The bottom is so full and round it makes all my stuff sound great. The highs are very nice too, they open the top end of the bass so you can hear every bit of detail. I think you could go either way and be totally happy.

6. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    thanks man you have been alot of help. i think im gonna get the 924.peace;)