Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by m1911, Dec 11, 2003.

1. m1911

m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    I want to buy a fairly simple, but HIGH QUALITY Bass set-up for a Blues/Rock Trio.
    I am pretty much set on buying the Aquilar 2x12, 8 Ohm Cabinet(I can always add another 8 Ohmer in the future), but can't decide on the Head....either the DB359 or the DB750.

1) The overall need would simply be a DB359 but it's another $1000.00 or so more than the DB750:( .
    I think the pricing and reliabilty edge would go to the DB750, but is it too much for the 2x12 Cabinet and playing in dive bars, to medium size clubs, and occasionally outdoor stages?

2) Also, do any of you have one of the Aguilar Head/Rack cases for carrying it around? If so, how do you like it? Or...do you have another safe but simple rack/case that you like better?
    The Aguilar web-site shows the Heads sitting naked on top of the Cabs....Is that so they have better ventilation? I could always just buy an enclosed case and remove the Head completely for gigs.

3) Regarding Tuners for Bass...Do you guys like to use a Rack Mounted Tuner, or use something like a portable Boss TU-2 Pedal on the floor?
    If I get the DB750 it would now be a FOUR space Rack with a mounted tuner....and..FWIW...I already own a FullTone BassDriver Pedal that I could put on the floor with the TU-2 on a small pedal board with a power supply.

It may seem that I've answered some of my own questions...but believe me....I haven't.:confused:

Thank you very much for your help.
    Mark

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I use the credit-card sized tuner made by Korg. I love it.

-Mike

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    PJR's answer........

[​IMG]

PJR

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    m1911,

I would recommend you going with the DB750. I had the DB359 and found it to be underpowered, and I had a modified version that handled a 2 ohm load. You will be disappointed if you're only running a single 8 ohm cabinet.

I've used my DB750 with a single 8 ohm GS112 cab with no worries at all. It won't blow up that GS212, guaranteed. Add another 8 ohm cab down the road and you'll get the 750 watts at 4 ohms. And if that's not loud enough, you can go with two 4 ohm cabs to get 975 watts at 2 ohms.

The DB750 is heavy. I carry it around to most gigs in the Aguilar 3 space rack bag, but I also have an SKB 6 space rack that I'll use sometimes. In either case it's not an easy move. The DB359 is heavier btw, and is 18" deep.

5. m1911

m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    PJR,
    Very nice set-up!.....Questions:
    What kind of Tuner is that and approx how much $?
    That is a nice fitting case...is there a front cover with a handle on it for carrying and who is it made by? Is there enough ventilation?

Craig,
    I really appreciate your comments on power requirements. They are EXTREMELY helpful. I think the 2x12 Cabinet in 8 ohm should be a nice start. Just curious...Which Aguilar Cabinet would you add as a second?
    Also...do you like the Aguilar case, and do you remove the whole Head from it and place it on your Cab? I can't tell how it's used from the picture on the web-site.

Thanks,
    Mark

6. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Tuner - Korg DtPro1 ~ 90-110 used ..they pop up on Ebay pretty frequently ( where I got mine )

The Rack Case - Buffulo Rack Cases. Yes there are covers.....but the handles are on the sides of the case.You wouldn't want the handles on the cover with 40lb amp !!

As far as ventilation.....the Aggy is designed to draw heat out from the rear of the amp chassis, via the 2 fans .The design is such that air is circulated from the sides and pulled thru the amp out the back.

PJR

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Mark,

The amp fits into the rack bag and is attached to the rack by screws, just like a normal rack case (like SKB for example). You don't remove the amp from the bag on the gig (this would be a major pain), but just place it on top of the speakers in the bag. There are zippered covers front and back that you tuck underneath the bag so you have access to the amp.

Here's how it looks:

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    As for speaker choices, the GS212 is the one cab I've never tried. But FWIW, others have combined that cab with either a GS210 or another GS212 with great success. I use the two GS112s most often, but the sound I truly like best is my GS410/GS210 combination. Too much for smaller venues though, and a pain to move.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    have you tried a pair of 1x12's?? much lighter, and IMHO, much more versatile for the smaller gigs.

also, either head is crazy heavy. and i'd invest in a cart of somesort like the folding Wesco or Ruxxax.

or you could get two birds with one stone, and use an SKB Roll-X rack. has a telescoping luggage like handle and wheels. i use the 3 rack version with my DB359.

btw, IMHO, the DB750 does sound good, but the all tube power section of the 359 makes a WORLD of a difference. whether or not that extra $1000 is worth the tone is ultimately up to you.

and PJR,

Sweet rig!!

10. m1911

m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    Joker,
    You still have your Aguilar Heads? I thought you sold them. Do/did you ever find a reliability issue with the DB359?. All Tube...and a bunch of them at that...I'm worried it won't take the normal usage of that of the DB750.
    Not quite like grabbing a Dr.Z Head at 22lbs and placing it in the back seat gently.

And...I actually may consider buying two 1x12 Cabs. Craig, nice pic...that actually looks like the exact set-up I should buy having the flexibility and portability of two smaller Cabs.

Also Joker, great forum here you turned me onto over at the PRS Gear Page. I've been reading it for a while now and this is my first post.

Great reponses from everyone!

BTW, Where do you guys buy your Aguilar stuff here in the Northeast? I figured I'd just call Stu at FatSound like I do with everything else.

Thanks,
    Mark

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    All the Aguilar stuff is available at Musician's Friend http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...517/g=home/search/q=AGUILAR/page=1/d=tp/snl=1

The DB750 is eligible for free shipping, but most of the speaker cabs are not.

G Guitars in New Haven CT http://www.gguitars.com will match the Musician's Friend prices. Good people too.

BTW, something to be aware of up front that has been discussed at length in another thread. Aguilar has a ten year warranty, (to the original purchaser only) on their amplifiers but warranty repairs are done only at the Aguilar shop in NYC, and shipping costs to and from the shop are the responsibility of the purchaser.

12. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    You guys need to try the GS112 & GS210. It is the super dope setup.

I play through the DB659+qscPLX2402 & its so fat & loud.

13. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Hi Craig and TB'ers:

I will try to respond on the forum as needed,
    so here I am......
    You don't need to automatically send the unit back to us for repair. You need to e-mail or call us and we'll see if it seems to be something that we can talk your local tech through, or some obvious problem that a qualified tech can work on. So, on our discretion we will authorize a local tech to do specific warranty work.
    We do not desire to make UPS rich, so we will do what we can!

Dave B.

14. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I just had to have the footswitch for my Aguilar DB680 repaired. I live in Oregon and Aguilar is in NYC. Took about 10 days and $15 of shipping to get the problem taken care of. Seems reasonable to me. :)

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey bro!

thought you're handle looked familiar. and again, welcome to the world of boutique bass gear! you thought the Gear Page was bad, you should see these freaks! only a matter of time before you start also salivating over EA, Acme, Bergantino & Epifani cabs; Demeter, Alembic & Kern preamps; EA, EBS, Acoustic Image, Walter Woods heads. and, whatever you do, DONT go to www.basstasters.com you'll never be the same. :p

as for the Aguilar stuff, IME, its practically bullet proof. and no offense to Dave from Aggie (Sup, bro!), but if you search around the forum, you'll see that some guys have expressed some dissastifaction with the customer service. i, on the other hand, have been helped in a pinch, many a times by Jeff, the tech guy. then again, i live practically 3 blocks from the shop. ;)

as for finding Aggie stuff, check the dealers page. but i've gotten great service from Gard and Grasshopper at www.basscentral.com, Chris and Aaron at www.bassnw.com, Chris at www.gguitars.com in Conn., Jimmy at www.bassboutique.com here in NYC, etc. btw, i heard Ed at Tone Merchants is thinking of opening up a bass only wind to his shop. should be very :cool:

i'm sure the FatSound guys are great, but in all honesty, you should go with a bass-centric shop, cause there are MANY different variables that only a bass player would know in better helping you.

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Ladies and Gentleman, the man who put the "DB" in the DB750...Dave Boonshoft! :D

Hi Dave! You cats were awesome in dealing with the one "problem" I had with my DB750...a broken tube that even this moron was able to fix while your techs fell all over themselves so that I wouldn't have to make a trip to the city or make UPS richer. ;) My best customer service experience ever.

See you at NAMM. Any "surprises" planned? Hmmmm?

And while you're here...make the DB750 under 25 lbs. and Aguilar will rule the world!. :bassist: