1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar S 2x10????????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emohair, Dec 8, 2006.

1. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    I just bough one of these used, I have yet to hear it. I later did my research and found that they were using eminence speakers to load these cabs....and now the cabs are discontinued.

What are peoples feelings on this cab? I really just need it as a monitor onstage, but I dont need another sub-par peice of gear.

Peoples thoughs on this cab????

2. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    bump, help guys

3. Mine looks really great sitting here :p As soon as my LMII arrives I will let you know how it sounds!!!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You give us an hour?

5. Don't worry. The S series cabs are anything but sub-par gear. I had a S410 and was extremely happy with it until my needs changed. It was a 4 ohm cab and I needed an 8 ohm. I had to trade it away. Would've kept it if I could afford to.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I sold one here about a month ago, and I'm regretting it. Good, punchy sound.

7. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Sorry guys for getting impatient. For the record, posters on this board have the best repond time anywere....anyways

yea, im hoping the cab will get the job done atleast. I just hate it when I read planetbass's review of the cab, kinda basically saying..."the S series is the more "affordable" model," more or less NOT hyping it up.

I sorta wish It could handle a bit more power, but for what i need it for right now (its going to be my bass monitor on stage...runing off my soon to be purchased pre and low watt power amp...)it should be great. Aside, iit should make a nice little (mismatched) rig with my mesa 15 cab and the 400+. Its gonna be a little strange looking but hey, I have to buy what i can afford!!!

more comments, punchy is good.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

GREAT cab! I had one of these also. Awesome is all I can say....

9. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I have an 8 ohm S210. I used it a lot in my former band with a Hartke 3500 and sitting on top of an Ampeg SVT15E cab. Now I run it by its lonesome through a Gibson GB440 mainly for practice, occassionally for jamming with friends.

It's a very good cab, with typical high quality Aguilar workmanship. Like many other manufacturers, Aguilar had Eminence design the speakers to their specs. They made them to be a "discount" line but to offer better quality than other midline manufacturers by using a lot of the same higher end components found in their GS line. Unfortunately, the S line in general didn't sell well despite the reasonable price and good reviews (I bought mine for what they were retailing at, $400 new, a darn good deal). A lot of folks on TB and elsewhere started picking up the S line stuff when online retailers started blowing out the stock when Aguilar decided to discontinue it. A shame because I hope Aguilar attempts another foray into midline equipment...

Anyway, onto the sound itself... the cab has a nice tight low end that has a lot of punch. I find the midrange to be pretty polite but sweet sounding. The high end is good and responsive, I usually have the tweeter about 1/3 of the way to make it more natural, and not too harsh. The cab's rating is 250 watts, but I've never had the cab breaking a sweat with 250 or 300 watts so I'm sure that it can handle a good deal more. Overall it has a nice updated vintage vibe -- good clarity but sweet and tight.

The only gripe I may have with the cab is that I personally would like a more aggressive midrange when using it as a standalone, but when I used it with the Ampeg 1x15 there was plenty of mids and low-mids. In fact, that combination was very sweet, with more creamy, darker sound of the Ampeg matching well with the tighter, balanced sound of the S210. Again, this is no slam against the cab, just a personal preference. Still it was a very good $400 spent when I bought it new so I'm sure it will be a good deal for you.

Enjoy it :bassist:

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with that cab, but if you are interpreting them using Eminence speakers as somehow indicating low quality, I wouldn't worry about that. Many, many manufacturers use their own 'custom' designed speakers made by Eminence. Back in the 'old days', we would all pull out the OEM Eminence speakers and put in the JBL's, Altecs, or Electrovoice speakers. Those days are over.... the higher end Eminence speakers are at the top of the heap these days IMO.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My S410 is my favorite cab right now ... and I have had lots of gear! I'm sure the 2x10 is great as well, though a 250 watt 2x10 is only going to produce so much sound.

The S cabs sound punchy without being dramatic or hyped about it, have a very nice natural depth, and have great clarity and dynamics. They also have a nice warmth to the sound ... you don't need a bunch of signal processing to get a good sound from this cab. I get great results with either SWR or Mesa heads.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My main outdoor rig is two Aguilar S410 cabs and a 1001RBII head. I would buy a S210 cab in a heartbeat if one became available. :)

13. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    thanks for the comments guys, im feeling much better about my purchace. I dont expect this to be the last cab I will ever need, but for right now, it seems to be just what i need. I was just hoping it wasn't going to be junky.

I didn't know whether Aguilar discontinued because they weren't proud of the product, or it was getting sold quicker than the GS so they figured they would just sell equipment that made more money.

I have a feeling that the S 2x10 and my mesa 15 will sound so good together. That mesa diesel 15 is a different story, I dont think i have ever heard so much clarity from a 15 in my life, you hardly need a tweeter.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I remember getting or reading a letter from Dave B. about his cabinets, He told me he made the "S" series to be more affordable without being a much cheaper cabinet, thus the "S" series was born. They used stamped speakers instead of cast frame while also making the cabinet from MDF board. I remember asking him if the MDF would hold up and he assured me that it would. All other components are from the GS series. He halted production on the "S" series cabs because most people could not associate Aguilar with making an affordable anything much less a decent cabinet. The sales from the cab suffered thus the halt in production. There is a writeup in bassplayer mag about these cabs and If i'm not mistaken they where the editors choice!

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its really a sad story, for us players. A great 4x10 cab that you can actually carry by yourself that sounds fantastic and is affordable. We just didn't buy them, for whatever reason.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I just found this by the owner of Aguilar.

Personally, I'm very proud of the S-series. We set out to build a great sounding, moderately priced cab. We had a sound in mind that wasn't a "cheaper GS", but had a different voice.
    We made none of the compromises that some other manufacturer's make when offering a cabinet at those price points (namely quality of the drivers, tweeter, crossover, hardware). We managed to price these very competitively and got great reviews on them. In short, I felt that we had the best type of product, one that displayed value in price and application.
    Then.....silence! Dealers and players just didn't buy them.
    Now, they certainly sold quickly at the blow out price. But that is not a realistic or sustainable price.

As you've noted, the DB series is not a replacement for the S series, it's different in every way. If I thought we could sell the S series at the neccesary moderate price point, I would be glad to make them. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

17. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    its a shame that they aren't making these cabs if they are as good as the maker says....but you have to make what sells.

18. I used an S210 and and S410 for several gigs last year. They are great cabs, punchy, cut through with good mid emphasis and good articulation. I prefer them significantly over the more expensive GS series cabs which I find to be significantly mid scooped. I too wish they were still being made.

19. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Got the cab today and I must say im grinning ear to!!!!

It sounds really great, punchy with plenty of lows....this cab is a keeper. And right now its in really clean shape, I need to see if I can get a cover still from aguilar.

I plan on getting a SWR grand Pre-(amp) but im not sure what power amp to match with the pre-amp and the aggie cab....suggestions??

Remember, my 2x10 can only handle 250 (atleast thats what it says on the back...) Just something to keep in mind

20. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Thats nice to hear man , hope it will work out great.
    Tell us when you have gigged with it !