Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar S-Series Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Oct 25, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    What's up with these babies?

I haven't seen them over here yet, but I'm quite interested how they sound. Anyone over here already bought them? When compared to the GS series... what's the difference...etc..?

Should I swap it with my Bag End 4.10"? ;)

[​IMG]

(I noticed a very small topic more then a year ago posted, so I started a new one)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its a more budget line than the GS series. Cheaper, lighter. Rear round port instead of the front slot port of the GS series.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    A bit like the older SWR cabs, or the Eden 410T. Which I like.
    Nice cabs BTW.
    Don't be turned off by the fact that they are "cheaper".

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I haven't heard them but I think the difference is stamped speaker frames instead of cast frame. And the cab is made of particle board instead of plywood.

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    don't the gs have a horn whereas the s don't??? :confused:

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    No the "S" cabs have a horn and I think cb56 may be right.
    Low Down Sound here in Detroit has them. I'll check them out tomorrow (LDS is 2 min from my house-VERY bad!!)

7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I thought there was a thread a month or so ago. All the responses are on target, except that they do have tweeters (with attenuation control). I just sold (or should I say gave away) an S410 which I liked a lot. I played five or so gigs with it, and it sounded great to me, my band, the audience, and the sound guy. Very "warm", "deep" and "full" sounding...just filled up the whole room. It was somewhat midshy, but all Aguilar cabs sound like that to me. Not a "barky" cabinet but a "smooth" tone (perfect mate for my now-sold Demeter preamp), really nice for fingerstyle and handled five string basses just fine. Not really a fast slapper cabinet. Personally, I prefered it to the Eden 410xlt that I replaced it with...and the decrease in 20lbs and a few inches helped that too. Sorry, but I don't have as much experience with Bag End.

Marshall

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I own two of the GS series cabs, and I've played through the S series cabs before. They are great for the price point, lighter in weight probably due to the construction method and the magnets. Some people like the sound of the S series cabs better than the GS series cabinets. I guess it all depends on what you're after. I don't think the 8x10 version of the S series Cab has a tweeter, but the rest do. Aguilar GS series Cabs in general have been my favorite "Ported" cabinets thus far. Although I haven't played everything out there. The Bergie NV610 is probably my favorite overall cab right now, no tweeter and no ports on that bad boy.

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I love my GS115. I spent about a couple hours trying out at Gelb in Redwood City various cabs (with the same bass and amp I have). They had various Edens, Aggies, Ampegs, and Mesa's... I kept coming back to the 115...

I might need to look into a S series 210... I'd like to add a 2x10 punch to my rig, but I can't afford to drop the full dosh onto a GS210.. as much as I'd prefer to.

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Dude I just sold my S410 and a silly low price and I'm local to you! :meh:

Marshall