1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar S-series cabs discontinued?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indi86, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Unless I somehow missed a thread on this the past few days, it looks as if Aguilar has discontinued their S series cabs, switching completely to GS and their new DB series. Their website has moved the S series to their "vintage" section with the discontinued heads.

2. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I started a thread a few day ago asking why the discontinued them, but I think that's been pretty much the only mention. Oh, wait, I've also been raving about what a deal I got on my S410 since they discontinued it.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    most every shop including MF & GC that carried them are blowing them out. and IMHO, they're a steal!

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Woohoo! I have a vintage 810!

5. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Hmmm. . .With a carefully worded eBay auction, I might be able to turn a serious profit here! "VINTAGE AGUILAR!!!!! Rare!!!!!!"

6. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I've never heard of it.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    It might be those classic style enclosures for their heads that match the DB cabinets?

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    [​IMG]

simmilar to this.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a CB500. I got MF to throw one for free in when I bought my AG500. It's not a rack bag like pictured above. It's a little smaller and the head maintains it's feet and carry handle. The head slips into the bag sideways. I already racked my AG500 but am planning on using the CB500 for my AMP BH-420 that I'm getting back (sold it to a TBer and just made a trade to him cause I miss my BH-420). It's a great little bag, but only certain heads will fit in it. Otherwise I'd recommend with a Aggie rack bag or the Gator rack bags are nice too!

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    What he said!

Marshall

11. Hey Quadzilla do you have a picture of the CB500? Can you leave the head in the CB500 while performing? In other words does it have access for the controls, rear outputs, and the vents on top?

12. Quadzilla

No, the bag only opens on one side. It's designed for heads like the AMP BH-420 or Aggie AG500 that have side carry handles. You pick the head up by it's side carry handle and then slip it in the top of the CB500. Look at the picture above and imagine the same bag with a zipper and flap just under the carry handle and also imagine it more narrow side to side and there you have the CB500...

I'll take a picture tomorrow eve (have rehersal after work today and won't be home until late).

13. I'd like to know why as well. I am grateful that Aguilar chose to chose to offer lightweight, moderately priced equipment. The new DB series looks amazing but it doesn't seem to me like a "replacement" for the S-series. Different sound, construction, price point, etc.

14. Got it, thank you. Something to consider, as my AG500 currently travels unprotected on my passenger seat.

15. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Lightweight? The S-series? :eyebrow: Except for that, I completely agree with you. The DBs look great, but very different. Like I said in the other thread, my theory is that the S-series cabs were a bit too similar to the GSs, and Aguilar felt they might have been shooting themselves in the foot. That would explain why the DBs are so different, but I could be completely wrong.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Maybe Dave can stop in and offer us an explanation to why the S series has been discontinued. Maybe they were to expensive to produce and their profit margins didn't justify manufacturing. As I've said before, despite the affordable price, they are pro-level cabinets.

If my two S 4x10's were stolen, I'd hunt down the person who took them and make them die a slow painful death. ;)

17. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Personally, I'm very proud of the S-series. We set out to build a great sounding, moderately priced cab. We had a sound in mind that wasn't a "cheaper GS", but had a different voice.
    We made none of the compromises that some other manufacturer's make when offering a cabinet at those price points (namely quality of the drivers, tweeter, crossover, hardware). We managed to price these very competitively and got great reviews on them. In short, I felt that we had the best type of product, one that displayed value in price and application.
    Then.....silence! Dealers and players just didn't buy them.
    Now, they certainly sold quickly at the blow out price. But that is not a realistic or sustainable price.

As you've noted, the DB series is not a replacement for the S series, it's different in every way. If I thought we could sell the S series at the neccesary moderate price point, I would be glad to make them. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

18. Quadzilla

Sealed cab! :D

19. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    What do you think you get from a sealed cab that is better than a ported cabinet?