Aguilar S Series Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Lately I've been wanting a bit more volume out of my rig (the 110 and 112 aren't quite cutting it in some situations). I've been considering adding a 210 to use along with my GS112 or getting a 410 to use on its own (with my Eden WT400 head). Today I kinda stumbled upon the Aguilar S210 cab, which is supposed to have more focus on the midrange, so I figured that would be a great compliment to the GS112. Plus, these cabs are pretty affordable.

Has anybody here tried the Aguilar S Series cabs?

2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    great sounding cab. not too bad on the carry, too.

doesnt quite have the open airy feel of its bigger sibs, but still a terrific sound. GREAT complement w/ their AG500 heads.
  3. Thanks, joker.

I should also mention that:

1. I'm looking for more volume (more speakers). My current 110 and 112 setup doesn't quite give me what I want.
    2. I want a tight, punchy tone with sufficient lows.

My cab setup is mostly for stage sound anyway since I run direct to the PA from my Eden head, but I want a good stage sound. Plus, for some larger, more open venues, I just need a bit more volume on stage.
  4. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've been considering the same pairing for my GS112 and Eden head. I haven't played one, but have heard that the mids and higher voicing should punch through nicely on stage. The only thing keeping me from picking one up is that I'm skeptical it will be much louder than the GS112 due to its lower sensitivity. I'd like a 2nd cab that puts out some more volume on its own than the 112. Can anyone speak to that.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I now have an S210 on top of my GS112.... I think it works great!! I do love it!!!

I think (JMHO).... that due to the lower Sens of the S210, it balances out just right with the GS112 - 1) the 112 is on the bottom and the floor (farther from your ear) 2) don't mids project better than lows?

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a S210 on top of my GS212. The 212 serves up the low-end booty and the S210 has some killer mids and punches thru like a champ!!! MusiciansFriend was blowing them out for cheap recently. I think that they still may be onsale.
  7. So, in your opinions, would using the S210 along with my GS112 give me significantly more volume than using my Eden CX110 along with my GS112? If not, I may opt for a 4 ohm S410.
  8. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I would say definitely more volume than with the CX110. My last post was referring to the volume of an S210 alone. I'm beting the S410 will be loudest overall.
  9. I,ve gigged a 210/112 rig quite a bit and it was as loud as I would ever have to be.Mine was an Eden 210XLT stacked verticaly on an Avatar 112.I had two 112s and a few times I used both of them with the Eden and it was really more than I needed so I'd think the Aguilar cabinets would be plenty of volume.I had an Aguilar GS112 for a while and thought it was a great sounding cabinet but I haven't tried a S210 yet so I can't comment on it's tone but I think it would be all you need.
  10. Significantly is the key word in my previous post. I don't want to end up regretting not getting the 410 if the 210/112 doesn't quite cut it either...

BluesBass, what amp were you using with the 210/112 setup? My Eden gives me 400 watts at 4 ohms.
  11. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I would bet the 410 would be the loudest. If you're worried about being heard, then i'd go 410 and you'd still have a pretty sweet "small" rig in your 12 and your 10 combo.... or just the 12 solo. The Aggie S410 seems to be a fairly portable cab.
  12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

You'll have to let me know if you get one, as I'd be curious in hearing it. I'm here in Columbus, too!
  13. Cool. You open to attending a bass meeting at my house on April 1st? If so, let me know what you could bring.:)
  14. Last fall I played an AG500 through an S210 on top of an S410. There were about 200 people and the band consisted of about 7 to 9 people with various guitarists, keys, bassists, etc. swapping sets. I thought the tone was excellent and the rig cut very well, except when the guy playing the second set decided to scoop the mids and boost the bass. Then it got lost in the mix. The S210 weighs about 50 lbs I think and the S410 weighs a little over 80. Both cabs are compact. I would be happy to own that rig.

One concern that I have is that your GS112 might be dominated by the S410 and get lost. The S210 might be a better match. Just a thought. A test would be a good idea, but not everybody can test a cab before they buy.
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'll PM you..
  16. I was using my RBI preamp and my Crown CE 1000,both my cabinets were both 4 ohm so it was 450 watts each cabinet.I really never had to push the amp hard at all using both cabinets.I have a 410 neo that I use with the Eden on big jobs now but I like the 112s better with it.Most of the time now I use the Eden cabinet by itself.I think your Eden should push the two cabinets fine and you might be able to use the 210 alone once in a while.
  17. I'd use the S410 as a standalone cab. If I get the S210, I'd pair it with the GS112. Make more sense?
  18. I'm 60 this year and play old rock & country for a mature somewhat quiet crowd. I think the 410 is a fairly quiet 410, but does very well with the 210 on top. The S cabs are nice, but are voiced differently from the GS cabs and I don't think they have as much volume. I've given some thought to an S210 on top of a GS112, but I don't have enough money to buy new gear at the moment.
  19. I'm sure the 410 alone would still be significantly louder than what I have. I have time to decide since I still need to save some $$$...