Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar S210 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamthief, Feb 12, 2006.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Has anyone used this cabinet? It's selling for under $200 online, but I'm concerned that the cab material, which is compressed rather than true plywood, will not leave me happy with the tone. Any shared experiences, good, bad or indifferent, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have one. It has nice lows but mid-range is where it excels. Damn loud for it's size too. Easy to transport. I love mine. Pairs great with my Aggie GS212, but I also use the 2x10 solo for rehersal and it does great. Where have you seen one for under $200? That's a STEAL!!!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm interested to know how you know this? i didnt know there were different forms of plywood. but to be honest, i'm a little skeptical that different forms of plywood would really have a major effect on tone.

regardless, the S210 is an amazing little cab, and IMHO, 10x better than most in its price class. terrificly punchy, and very present in any mix.

4. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Yeah, I don't know how much different plywoods that are well insulated and carpeted will affect the tone of a cab. As long as it's well constructed and sturdy (which the S210 is) the sound shouldn't vary with the cabinet materials... I could be mistaken, however.

That said, the S210 is a very good little cab. Not for thundering low, but a very expressive mid-range with a lot of detail... good on the highs, too (I like Aguilar's tweeter at about 12 o'clock). I paired it with an Ampeg SVT-15E for a real contrast in styles. The creamy Ampeg lows with the articulate mid-range of the Aggie worked perfectly for my former trio. It's a very flexible cab and $200 is an absolute steal...

5. Muscians Friend had 2 online for that price on Saturday. They disappeared by Sunday.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Thanks for the responses, people. Jokerjkny, the description of the cab on Musician's Friend website listed its' composition as "MDF", which piqued my curiosity to check out Aguilar's site, where they explain the acronym as medium density fiberboard. Quadzilla, Adam's post referred to where the cab was selling for $199, but I guess I won't be getting one from them now! Good to know it's a solid cab, though. Thanks again for the replies.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IMO the S series cabs from aguilar are an excellent value, but different animals from the gs series. When i tested them side by side the gs 10" cabs had a lot more "ampegish-grunt" while the s series sounded an awful lot like the older swr cabs. I found both to have good lows, but i found the mids to be much more aggressive in the gs cabs. the s series have mids, but they're not as "in your face". That said, you may prefer the somewhat smoother sound of the s cabs. as always, YMMV. :smug:

8. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Actually, from a sound perspective, MDF makes a very good cabinet material. It is is nearly acoustically inert - resonance is not a good thing. But, the downside is it's damn heavy, and fairly fragile - if it cracks or gets wet, game's over.

9. I had to cut my last post short due to a meeting. I was trying to find out if those were 8 ohm or 4 ohm cabs on Saturday. If they were 8 ohm, I had the wife's permission to pull the trigger. But I was too late. I have played an AG500 through an S410 and an S210 / S410 stack. I really like those cabs and IvanMike's description of "smooth" is accurate. They may be priced less than the GS series, but they are tuned quite differently and are definitely good cabs.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

They are $199 again at MF and they have both 4 and 8 ohm versions. Pisses me off because I just bought one of these a month or so ago for $329!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad: :spit: :D

11. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    I just ordered a 4 ohm one

today and it was in stock

but they did say they had very few left!

12. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    $359 for an aggie 410?! :eek: