Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar S210 v GS210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJL, Nov 3, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Has anyone A/B'ed them yet?

I was thinking of getting rid of my Eden 112 to get a 210 Cab...

Any thoughts? The 210 would go on top of my Aggie GS112.

:)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    GS series: front slot ported, cast frame speakers, more expensive, heavier.

S series: rear hole ported, stamped frame speakers, less expensive, lighter.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    What about efficiency? Tone?

I'm not really looking for massive low end (the GS112 already provides that)...

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in a nutshell the s series sounds very SWR with a bit of a scooped mid. (still sounds good, i wouldn't knock the goliath jr 1 or 2)The GS has a very aggressive midrange with a lot more "grunt"

5. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Ahh....I'm going to risk breaking the rules to add just a little more information. Although the above info is true, the S series was designed to have a completly different sound than the GS series. The box tuning is higher, which in this context has the effect of making the mids "more forward". The stamped frame drivers,(Eminence, not Chinese) handle less power due to a smaller magnet; but are very sturdy and are rated conservatively.
    The rear porting enabled us to make the cabinet lighter and smaller. We use high quality MDF, which I have to say is very inert and makes a good cabinet. The crossover, tweeter, grill, etc...are the same as on the GS cabinet.
    The S 810 has no tweeter since it goes plenty high without one.

Sorry to add all this info....but we really want these cabs to have their own identity other than being just less expensive.
    Although....they are a great value, IMHO and Bass Player magazine's.

http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/news_reviews_scab_bp112004.pdf

Cheers,

DB

svtb15 likes this.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Big thanks for the clarification, Dave. We appreciate the info you provide.

7. Thanks for the additional information, Dave. We can always use that sort of input.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Dave, thank you for your participation on this thread! :) (as well to the other guys)...

The only thing that may be holding me back is the sensitivity of the cab...
    On the bass player article, it has the sens of 101db, but the Aguilar website states 99db...which one is correct? Maybe i'm just reading something wrong (which is the case, most of the time) :D

9. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    The info on our web site is correct. The review should have read 99 db. The cab does not suck up power though, because of the slightly higher cabinet tuning.

DB

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i dug the S410 i tired. was terrific w/ the AG500 head.