1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar SC500 tone settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer2106, Apr 10, 2006.

1. I have an Aguilar SC500 and a GS210.

I find that I'm turning the two mid controls almost all the way off to get a half decent sound.

If I don't the sound is way too middly.

I play funk/jazz and I'm after a tone that sits nicely, but is also snappy when I want it to be.

Is it just that there's not enough control over the mids.

I'm not critiscising the set-up, I love the sound that it produces, it's just that it seems to be quite a drastic setting.:cool:

2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I push in the deep button, bass on 2 o'clock, treble on 1 o'clock and gain turned up to just where it starts to distort. I might turn up the high mid to 1 or 2 o'clock if I need more cutting power. But, I like a middy rock sound. The boss compressor pedal also brings this amp to life in my opinion. Sometimes I just have it set flat if Im playing really loud.

3. I keep the EQ controls at ~12 o'clock, bright and deep off, and sometimes boost the low mids depending on the room and the cabs I'm playing through. With the GS112s in particular I like a bit more midrange to get my bass sound to sit right in the mix. I should say that I don't consider my tone to be particularly midrange-y.

To my ears there's nothing particularly drastic about the AG 500 EQ section, which is part of the reason I like it. Maybe you could use more control over the midrange frequencies like you say?

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Boost the bass and treble instead. The mid EQs are a little narrow and are better used for smaller adjustments. When I tried an AG500 (with GS410) I ended up running it with a lot of bass boost. I WAS able to get a really nice sound out of it though. And loud.

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    No offense, but if you are needing to completely turn down both your mid bands, then maybe that head isn't voiced well for your purposes.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1