Aguilar SL112 stack pack a punch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgrackle, Apr 5, 2017.

1. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Has anyone had experience with the SL112 (solo or stacked) on an outdoor gig? I love the tone of them in small clubs. Do they have the punch of Fearless or Ampeg cabs?

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    When I tried them out with a TH500 they didn't impress me (for my needs) as being able to carry a medium sized indoor venue individually, only as a pair. I would not see them as my first choice for outdoor use (assuming stacked) unless I had some FOH support/reinforcement from the sound system.

I think the Fearless are in a different class volume projection-wise and the Ampeg 212's I've heard would sound a bit more powerful especially in the lows. The SL's just didn't have a lot of serious low end slam to me, and IME that's the first thing you lose outdoors.

3. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    At the outdoor gigs I don't usually get FOH support. That's when I would normally bring out my Fearless F112 F115 stack. I guess I should stick with that combo. I plugged into an SL112 in a small studio last week and it sounded killer. But that was just a bass and drum session.

4. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I think those cabs sound great in studio or small/medium venue situation, but I just didn't get a lot of low end that I thought would work in large venues or outdoors, especially rock. My GK Neo 112 II's, Berg CN212, Mesa PH212's and Mesa Subway 112/115 combo all feel more powerful in the low end to me. IME those Fearless cabs are going to be hard to top, particularly outdoors.

SJan3 likes this.
  5. trpullen

trpullen Commercial User

Jul 12, 2003
    St. Louis, MO Area
    Owner: Mojo's Music in Edwardville, IL
    Aguilar should sell the 112SL in pairs only. It sounds so much better when they couple together.

SJan3 likes this.
  6. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I agree on the SL series, but go GS or DB series and get the low end at a cost of more weight. My GS112s are quite manageable.
    GS112=42lbs
    GS112NT=39lbs

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The GS's are my favorite Aguilar cabs and among the best cabs on the market for my money.

SJan3 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021