Aguilar Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Oct 6, 2003.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Could someone give me an idea of what Aguilar amps sounds like, particularly the their all tube 200 watt head. Also if you could compare the tone to the likes of Ampeg or Eden that would help, since I've had a chance to play those brands, but not Aguilar. Thanks guys.

2. A lot of people here will tell you that an Aguilar sounds like an "Ampeg on steriods." I'm not sure that I totally agree with this. To my ears, this is how they compare:

Aguilar: very refined, clear, and modern, yet with a lot of warmth, and a tight bottom end.

Ampeg: also warm, but raw, sounding, with an emphasis on the mids. more of an "old school" sound.

Eden: haven't had as much experience with them, but from what I've heard, they're somewhere in between Ampeg and Aguilar, (in between vintage and modern sounding). Edens have a parametric EQ, so you can achieve a wider variety of tones than the other two.

I've had the oportunity to compare an Aguilar DB 359 (all tube 200 watts), to an Aguilar bd 659 preamp connected to a generic solid state power amp. I didn't really try them at high volume, but at low volume, you'd be surprised at how similar they sound. The DB 359 has essentially a DB 659 preamp in it, so really I was just compareing the power amps.

Main differences: The DB 359 is a bit warmer. The DB 659 (when used with a solid state power amp) is a bit clearer, with a tighter bottom end. The DB 359 is ridiculously expensive. I'd look for a used one if I were you.

I highly recommend Aguilar over Ampeg or Eden. Try going to There's some sound clips comparing an Aguilar DB 659, Aguilar DB 680, an Ampeg SVP-Pro, and an Eden Navigator, along with a lot of other preamps. Good luck looking for an Aguilar to try in person. I'm sure when you find one you'll be impressed.
  3. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    get a bergintino. its superior to all. ; You know your stuff jacob bartfield.:mad:
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bergantino doesn't make amplifiers.