Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Speaker Cab(s) Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I think I may have cured my case of GAS permanently (yeah, right :rolleyes: ).

I've owned the Aguilar db750 hybrid amp for several months now, and I'm lovin' it big time. I was using two Epifani 3x10 cabs, and the rig sounded great, but one of the 3x10s recently crapped out on me. I don't know yet what the problem is/was, I'll be sending the cab back for repair, so we'll see. I decided to take the opportunity to check out the Aguilar speaker cabs, and ended up buying a GS210 and a GS410 (both @ 8 ohms).

I used the new rig last night for the first time on a gig with THREE :eek: guitar players, drummer AND percussionist, and to say I'm thrilled with the way the Aggies performed would be the understatement of the century. Tone, tone and more tone. My bass cut through everything with ease. The Aggies sound fat, round yet very transparent. The highs are tight and focused, without being too "glassy". On a slap or a pop, there's almost a natural compression...very focused with just the right amount of crispness without being too piercing.

I have now owned or gigged with (backline situations) SWR, Epifani, Eden, GK and Ampeg cabinets in varying configurations (3x10, 4x10, 2x10), and the Aguilars beat 'em all for performance and tone.

I am a happy, happy man :D :D .

2. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm looking for a portable cabinet but haven't found one I'm ready to bring home yet. My local store has Bergantino 112, 210 and 115 cabs that I've tried. I probably would have walked out with the Bergie 210 if I had not plugged into the Aguilar 410. Through my GK 400RB the Aguilar sounds sooo full and BIG by comparison. :cool: Could just be a case of not having the power to push the Bergies. I didn't try the Bergie 115 and 210 together (I'm sure that combo would kill) because I'm trying to get the sound I want from one box. I'm wondering how the sound of the Aggie 210 compares to the sound of of the 410 by themselves. If I like the 410 would I like the 210?

3. let me know if you wanna get rid of one or both of the epifani 3 x 10's....

(i love hand-me-down's!!!)

bimp

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So how's that Lynyrd Skynyrd gig working out anyway? ;)

brad cook

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :cool:

sweetness...

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    jad,

I've only played with both cabs at once. The 410 I bought is the 8 ohm version, so that together the cabs have a 4 ohm load. You probably tried your GK head with a 4 ohm GS410, so you're getting more power from your head with that cab than you will with a GS210. Tone-wise though, they should be very similar. I would go with the better "over-all" tone your ears are experiencing, and worry about specific cab choices accordingly...I mean, if you like the Aguilar tone better than the Bergantino tone, go with Aggie and figure your cab configuration next. BTW, the Aguilar 112 cab is getting rave reviews, and street price is $399 or less.

Bimplizkit,

I already traded the good 3x10 towards the Aggies, but the cab is available used from G Guitars http://www.gguitars.com. The blown 3x10 will have to be shipped back to Epifani for repair. It looks like all three speakers will need to be replaced, and cost will probably be about what it's worth used.

DigMe,

The gig's going well, I'm just a liitle bummed that they make me wear a Leon Wilkeson top hat and sunglasses and play with a pick. :rolleyes: ;)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ***??? :D