Aguilar TH 500 on the way

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jellymax, Nov 30, 2016.

1. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    me eden wt400 cut out on me a coupla times last gig. first time. ordered one of them aggie 500s so i can get me eden serviced. it has served me well for many years. i actually have a spare amp but it is overkill for the gig we have had for the last 9years. its a 85lb SVTII. any opinions or tips on the Aggy TH500?

willsellout likes this.
  2. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    TH500 is a great amp.

My advice is keep the master cranked (like all the way up), and the gain as low as you can for your volume needs - That will give you a nice big clean tone that sounds great in the mix. Unless you want breakup and dirt in your tone, then do the opposite.

EQ has a nice "baked in tone" that doesn't need a ton of knob turning. I just cut the high mids one or two clicks, and keep it at noon other than that.

The drive control makes a frown face EQ as you turn it up. It rolls off the lows and highs. It doesn't do much until about noon, and goes from there. The drive has much more effect the more the gain is turned up.

Depends on the tone you are after of course.

Al Kraft and arai like this.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a Mesa Subway?

4. jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    whoops, its a traveler 400 not a wt400 my bad. has served me well for many years

5. jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    oh, Munji, that Mesa looks good. got one?

6. jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    reviving this thread for a moment. it failed aggy500 did not suit me. i wasnt able to
    shape the low end like i wanted, and i played a hall gig where it failed to deliver the goods.
    clipped all night. get the 700. 500 meh