1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar TH350 vs. MB200 + Aguilar pedal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Tone Hammer 350

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. GK MB200 + Aguilar Overdrive pedal

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. I made the mistake of buying a couple of amps with overdrive, and ended up returning them.
    I'm willing to start over, but wondering what the concensus is, tone/sound wise.

Each costs about the same.

2. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I've seen quite a few of your posts and threads in the last few weeks. It seems you're trying to find the perfect overdrive and/or distortion through a small amp alone. How come you haven't used any pedals in this process? Dirt pedals are popular for a reason...most work quite well.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    blindrabbit and ryan520 like this.
  3. I don't want to end up tap dancing, like a guitarist!

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Love my TH-350 :) . The MB200 has its own unique grind but only at full volume. Which ones did you try and not like? What cab do you have?

5. ryan520

ryan520

Jun 14, 2015
    Come on in. The water's fine!

spanndrew and Buzz E like this.
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Not sure what you mean by "farty" but in general overdrive doesn't sound good with a cab with a tweeter - try turning it off if your cab has one. He's my TH-350 last Saturday into a tweeterless 115 with the Bass at about 10:20, Drive at 0 and Gain at 2:00 - passive p bass :

That particular cab drops off right after 2KHz but you can still hear my excessive clanking :eyebrow:.

Mvilmany likes this.
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You will have more control out of an overdrive pedal. You can leave it on top of your amp if you don't want to tap dance.

8. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    A MIDI controller programmed properly should give the ability to press 1 pedal and have it change all the effects at once.

Kemper and Fractal Audio Systems might also get you the tone you want.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    One pedal isn't tap dancing.

I have yet to find an amp that has a built in overdrive that I actually like.

10. Best Amp overdrive. Fender Super Bassman. Period. But that's an amp that's realms apart from what we are talking about here in size, cost, weight, power.

I have a MB800, and a TH DI, and I have used them together and liked the results. For a while I thought I could make the 2nd channel work as an OD, but I've given up on that. I like the VT Bass and Aguilar agro into the MB800 also. One of the nicest OD pedals into any amp surprisingly is the Joyo American sound. Great bang for buck for sure.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. What kind of OD sound are you after? Are you looking for mild to wild? Always on? Grill your cheeses from across the room? Or maybe just some grit?

Knowing this may help narrow down your selection or at least point you in the right direction. I know there are lots of OD's that react to your volume knob and pick/pluck attack. There are boost out there that just put a bit of hair on the tone to edge of break up. A lot of choices for set it and forget it/always on too.

12. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Right now you can get a great deal on an Agro at bassstringsonline.com. With the end of the year discount. Got one on the way because of it :)

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. Artobass

Artobass

Jan 21, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I've read many of your posts as well as equipment recordings. Based on that, IMHO I think a really good dirt pedal of some sort would work great with any of your amps (amp size) and your style. There are other people on here that can give better direction and advice and what sound you want. That's just my .02. BTW thanks for the recordings with different equipment and comparisons you've recently posted. I enjoy listening to differences in equipment.

14. Orange OB1?

15. mr_flood

mr_flood

Mar 18, 2013
    Not sure what you mean by 'tap dancing'; if you pick an amp for OD then it's always on, so if you pick a pedal for OD then just turn it on and forget it. But with a pedal you can quickly turn it off, with the amp you gotta walk back to it and mess with the dials.

After much trial and error, I would suggest what I have, and love: Red Witch Factotum

16. I'm kind of averse to buying pedals, because it seems like once you get one, you get another, and then another, until you need a pedalboard. That's where the tap dancing comes in.

17. mr_flood

mr_flood

Mar 18, 2013
    Well, they do appear to be like alcohol, some can take a couple of drinks and walk away, others guzzle 'til they drop. I have 4 pedals, and have had just those 4 for years: chorus, compression, tuner, OD.

18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    +1 Running a close second is Fender Rumble! Same genius engineer, Dave Lewis!

19. What end of year discount? did I miss an email?

20. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    It came up when I veiwed what was in the cart