1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar TLC or Markbass Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RexxRokket, Jun 19, 2018.

1. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Apr 23, 2012
    Hellnezuela
    I have an Aguilar TLC comp which I consider to be a very decent comp but I got an offer from a guy who's giving me his Markbass compressore plus a Pigtronix Disnortion as a trade for my Aguilar. I know that at the end it's up to me and all that stuff, yeah. I just want some opinions in order to see if its a good deal so I can make a good choice :thumbsup:.

Any opinions?.

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I wasn't a fan of the Aguilar, and currently use the Markbass. I love it. I've owned (and sold) a few, and always come back. Getting a 2 for 1, where you end up with a MB would be a no-brainer for me!

Only thing to "worry" about with the MB is that it takes a 12v, 500mA adapter. If it comes with the stock one, great. If not, it might be a little tricky to find one.

Dec1975 likes this.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I preferred the Markbass.

geowis likes this.
  4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The power supply is actually pretty easy to find.

Markbass Power Supply 1.5A

NicJimBass likes this.
  5. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Apr 23, 2012
    Hellnezuela
    Why?

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Much better range of controls, an LED for metering the amount of compression, and I liked the tone better.

RexxRokket likes this.
  7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I prefer the Aguilar... I am not one that likes a comp that changes the tone. I bought a Markbass comp here, and sold it. The problem for you is, the aguilar will be gone with a trade.... I just realize its a markbass and pigtronix distortion for your aguilar……….. Can't you try it first?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  8. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Apr 23, 2012
    Hellnezuela
    What about the tube? does it last long?

9. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Apr 23, 2012
    Hellnezuela
    Unfortunately, no... the other guy is far away from where I am. But yes, that's the offer. 2 for 1.

10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Well something tells me your not completely happy with the aguilar…. So you might as well trade. But if your not crazy about the markbass than sell both the comp and fuzz and get a new Aguilars or something you like along the way of the pedal journey. I got the empress and have no desire of trades or sales. Im hoping my long pedal journey will stop at least In the compressor area.

11. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    Having owned both, I'd go with the Markbass. The only thing I didn't like about it was its odd power requirements- I think it was 12v 500ma? Well, that and it took up a lot of space. The overall sound was much warmer from the Markbass. The tube in it isn't just a pre-amp tube- compression is happening there. You don't see that in a pedal very often. I made the mistake of trading mine for the Aguilar. I liked it too, but it lacked the warmth of the Markbass. On the upside, the Aguilar was smaller, and ran on a more 'normal' power supply.

NicJimBass likes this.
  12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yes, it should last a very long time. That type of tube can be good for decades.

imabuddha likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021