1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar TLC vs EBS Multicomp vs T-Rex squeezer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rocksolid, May 5, 2010.

1. Been doing lots of searching and reading but not enuf to convince me either way!

I have a DBX160A in the rack with my WT800 but there are times I take a smaller rig without that head. I like the idea of a rack mount Compressor running in the FX loop of my head and everything else in line (effects etc) but if I have a pedal comp on my board it is always there.

I have considered getting an FMR RNC as well so any comparisons between 2 or even all of these would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    TLC: transparent, wide range of functionality, lowest noise of the three.

EBS: transparent in two modes, subtle "tubey" coloration available in tubesim mode, narrowest range of functionality of the three, in the middle as far as noise.

Squeezer: same subtle tubey quality as EBS tubesim mode, wide range of functionality, highest noise of the three.

RNC: if you have done any searching here you already have the info you need about this.

3. Well there you have it! 1 post covering all the questions raised!!

Sounds to me that the TLC is the pick of the bunch then - can you compare it to the DBX160A?

Cheers

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    For a bassist who wants a compressor in their onstage amp rig, the Aguilar is better than the dbx. Their sound and action are very similar, but the Aggie has a little more control over the action, and of course it is much smaller. The dbx would be better for a PA installation.

5. Hey BM, Thanks for your helpful replies to this thread.

Where would you recommend running the TLC in your signal chain?

I am running a Bass bone (mainly for the switching between channels to allow for 2 different basses and their different outputs) with a Big muff and Boss Chorus in the FX loop. I have a tuner in line on the input side.

I'm assuming I would run out of the Bassbone into the TLC so it is the last thing in line?

Cheers

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    FAQ in sig. :)