Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 - SL112 Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheWillEllis, Dec 15, 2016.

1. TheWillEllis

TheWillEllis

Dec 4, 2016
    Hello there,

I recently picked up the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and one of their SL112 cabs and have been really enjoying the effortless good tones you can get out of it. I have been practicing with it and have used it on 2 gigs over the past couple of weeks with no problem. However today after not having touched my rig since last Friday when I wanted to do some practice. I set up my gear and plugged in my bass only to get a quiet farty sound out of the speaker, this also differs with the amount of gain or if I touch the tweeter control on the back. As well as this the clipping light is constantly flashing which is odd as it has never flashed once with the passive P-basses I use for gigging with a relatively low pickup output.
    I should also mention I bought both of these brand new and arrived in excellent condition so I am completely baffled lol.
    At a total loss to what the problem is so any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Tell us what else youve tried:
    Other bass
    Replace battery in bass (I know you said passive bass so likely not it )
    Other instrument cable
    Other speaker cable
    Other cabinet with this head
    Other head with this cabinet
    What's you gain/drive/master settings

pcake and Al Kraft like this.
  3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    Call Aguilar, they offer great customer support

pcake and Al Kraft like this.
  4. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I would contact Aguilar. They are the best. I own the same set up. Just love it. Mine is flawless. Lots of luck.

5. TheWillEllis

TheWillEllis

Dec 4, 2016
    I've tried another bass, both passive to the same effect. Tried other instrument cable, speaker cable and even a different power cable but no joy. After having only recently upgraded from a combo I have no head/cabinet to try this against but I might take them to a music store and see if I could try that there? At a total loss to be honest.

6. TheWillEllis

TheWillEllis

Dec 4, 2016
    I think I will do that. You're right, it's a great little set up when it's working haha. Thanks.

7. TheWillEllis

TheWillEllis

Dec 4, 2016
    I'll give it a go, thanks!

8. Try it into a known good cab 1st. . At a music store if need be. If it's all good there. .. you may have to send the cab back to Aggy.
    But, yes, Aguilar have great products and great customer service.
    Contact them 1st and go from there

9. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I think your amp/cab is sad and rebelling due to being ignored. Essentially, your amp is pining for the fjords...

agedhorse likes this.
  10. TheWillEllis

TheWillEllis

Dec 4, 2016
    Haha sorry to say it, life gets in the way sometimes..
    Situtation update: I've determined the amp is the problem and so is making its way back to the shop under warranty.. fingers crossed!

agedhorse and rufus.K like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021