1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar tone hammer 500 vs GK fusion 550... for metal!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edgar664, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Edgar664

Edgar664

Mar 12, 2009
    Mexico
    Hello!!

So let me explain a bit. I have an Ashdown electric blue 150 (which I was lucky to find since Ashdown doesn´t have a distribuitor here in Mexico) and I've been giggin with it for a few years.

Then I was lucky once more and found an Ashdown ABM 410 cabinet :) and I've been looking for an EVO III 500 head, or any ashdown head really with enough watts but I've had hard times with that since as I said before there are no ashdown distibuitors around here, so I've been looking for more options now.

I've been looking around reviews and trying some heads and I'm finally interested in these two the Aguilar and the GK, both seems nice with enough wattage and cool characteristics and both are in my price range. The only problem is that I can't try them because no store near me has them on stock so I can only order them.

I play mostly Metal and occasionaly hard rock and I'm looking for and amp with a strong midrange tone, specially high mids since I mostly play "clanking" the strings or using a pick. I don't really care for a good slapping tone since I don't slap very often and also I'm not a big fan of super deep lows, I prefer "tight" lows.

So which one would you recommend that could sound great with my Ashdown 4x10???

If you have a different head in mind in that price range I'm all ears :)

Thank you all in advance. :bassist:

And by the way sorry if my english isn't very good.

2. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    I'm not sure about the Tone Hammer but any GK head is gonna have a lot going on in the upper mids. Any amp can be used for any type of music, but some will get you where you want to go tonally easier than others. The GK will get you there easily, but I have heard a lot of good about the Tone hammer.

3. ersheff

ersheff

Jan 8, 2012
    "Good midrange" to me sounds like the Tonehammer, but I don't have experience with the GK.
    I just got a TH350, and I really dig the midrange on the amp, especially with the drive up a bit (which supposedly focuses mainly on the midrange).

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I really like my TH500 but it will not get super bright with a passive Pbass into a cabinet without a tweeter.
    You could also push the high mids but am not certain it's high mid freq is high enough for your needs

5. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I use a GK for metal. It's a very suitable amp. The only thing in my opinion that could improve it would be the saturated gain stage of a Tone Hammer pedal in front of it.

I guarantee that this statement will help you very little.

6. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I'd probably go for the GK for metal. I have a TH500, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice for metal.

BTW - Your English is excellent!:D

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    GK for sure. Most metal bass is very clean and bright to cut through.

8. Edgar664

Edgar664

Mar 12, 2009
    Mexico
    Thank you all for your comments I think I'll lean toward the GK :bassist:!!!