1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar Tone Hammer DI or Sadowsky Preamp/DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skb5string, Mar 6, 2013.

1. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Hello all,

Looking to purchase either a Aguilar Tone Hammer DI or a Sadowsky Preamp/DI.

Will be using it at church, playing all kinds of styles. Funk, Gospel, Contemp Praise and Worship, etc. A plate of everything really.

What do you like/dislike about each pedal and your preferences.

Thanks!

2. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    Grab both :)you won't regret it

3. skb5string

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Wish I could get both but funds only for 1 and space on my pedal board only for 1 ;)

4. Tone Hammer all the way. The Mid control is essential IME

At my church I'm on stage with 2-4 electric guitars, 1-2 acoustics, 1-2 keyboards, 3-8 vocals, backing tracks (synths etc), and on occasion 2 drummers. Having the mid control allows me to pick where I sit.

Here's an exampler: http://vimeo.com/51780605

Jump to 3:10 to get into the music. There's a drum/bass breakdown in the bridge at 5:35.

I usually bump the highs to about 1:30, keep lows at noon or a little less and mids at about 2:30 with the frequency at 1:00

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    That tone was all the Aggie?

6. nozkcb

nozkcb

Jan 23, 2009
    Great sound across the board AND a great band too

7. skb5string

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Wow! Praise God that worship set sounded great! Thanks for the insight. Yup, I think having the mid sweep and control will be a great way to go!

8. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Tone Hammer all day

Al Kraft likes this.
  9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Owned both. For all around sound the TH is hard to beat. Works well with most basses. The sadowsky gives you the sadowsky sound. A very distinct sound. Own a sadowsky bass , sold the pedal and have 2 tone hammers...

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bobbybass85, you guys have great praise team!

11. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Either would be great, but the Aggie does have a lot more tonal control!

I use the Aguilar Tone Hammer DI for all my electric bass touring needs. It's great!

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Jan 15, 2006
    Tone hammer here as well. I keep the AGS on all the time, scoop the mids a bit, and leave the gain around 9 so it just starts to get a bit of hair when I really dig in. The AGS also has a high frequency rolloff like a speaker sim, so it doesn't sound to bright going directly to the FoH mix. Sounds great at my church, no problems at all.

Marihino and Al Kraft like this.
  13. Thanks everyone for the kind words! That was just the TH into the board, but I don't do the post-mix for the uploads so their may be some compression/tweaking in there. But it's a good idea of the sound.

Al Kraft likes this.
  14. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    I highly recommend the Tone Hammer. I run the TH in conjunction with the Aguilar TLC Compressor. I have these two always on for every bass. When I plug my passive Ash body American standard Jazz I boost the bass and treble up to 80 percent and boom! Instant Marcus Miller tone. Also the Tone Hammer acts a a buffer to give your signal chain a boost even if you have everything set flat.

Being and Bass and Al Kraft like this.
  15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm with the TH crowd for your needs here. Excellent DI, very versatile EQ, and equally versatile in the voicing department once you get the hang of how the AGS circuit allows you to use the gain control to do tone shaping, not just add volume/dirt.

16. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Add me to the Tone Hammer crowd, if I have to choose between the two. And blmartin is right: put the TLC Compressor next to it--a great compressor, but the two have some real magic together.

However, I have been looking at the LR Baggs Venue DI: Venue DI. I've seen some bass players giving it some love and am going to try it out. But 5-band parametric EQ with build-in tuner and clean boost would help your pedalboard space issues, and give you the most bang for your buck.

blmartin2215 likes this.
  17. axwell26medison

axwell26medison

Jul 27, 2015
    How would the Subway DI compare to the Tonehammer DI? I found a few threads comparing the two but it seems like none of them go into much detail on how one is better than the other.

blmartin2215 likes this.
  18. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    Out of those two, the TH. That's what's at the end of my board. Having said that, I've got the onboard Sadowsky in my main jazz, and I love it. For that crispy superclean active jazz tone, it can't be touched. I cannot replicate it with the Tone Hammer, even though low and high controls on it have the same freq centers as the Sadowsky. Sadowsky goes wider and lower, I get those comforting lowest lows underlying everything else without overpowering it (I'm talking about just a slight boost, it's easy to take it too far). I find the TH to have more texture to the sound, it's not as glassy as the Sad. It also tightens the lows, almost as if the boost happened at a bit higher frequency while cleaning up some of the unnecessary barely audible lows that just take up the sonic energy. I tend to have the TH on for grooving in a mix, with AGS on most of the time too; while for intros, chords, slap etc I prefer just the Sadowsky. That's just the cleans though. As a multiple purpose clean/dirty preamp, Tone Hammer with it's great semi-parametric eq, drive circuit etc is great and one of my favourite tools.

blmartin2215 likes this.
  19. mantaraya

mantaraya

Apr 10, 2007
    After having owned both I conclude almost different. I will highly recommend the TH but for me Sadowsky wins finally. True Aggie has some features Sadowsky not (pre/post, mid control, overdrive, 18V, even maybe better build quality) but IMHO Sadowsky is a special pedal that I won't even place it at the same level as the TH. Aggie has a nice sound I won't argue, but to me it has a very clear (voiced Aggie of course) generic sound as let's say, A Seymour Duncan Paranormal or EH Metaphors. It's just another preamp. The Sadowsky is a beast of its own. A very distinctive sound voiced and baked for that. When you switch it's like having a diferent bass. Aggie doesn't do that. I really don't miss too much selling my TH, as matter of fact I liked better the Paranormal. But if I would lost my Sadowsky would get one as soon as possible.
    The only one thing I don't like of Sadowsky it's very picky Ac powered. TH is nice. But Sadowsky it's just a special unit.

20. I've tried both and I'd go for the ToneHammer. The main reason is the control in the mids. However, I liked that the Sadowsky has a separate out for the tuner. The tone and DI in both units is awesome.