1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar Tone Hammer for guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by byrie, Sep 24, 2010.

1. byrie

byrie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hi all,

Before you all direct insults at me for bringing guitar into a thread, fear not - bass is my main instrument :bassist:

Until I heard about Aguolar, I had been dead set on getting a SansAmp PARA driver, as by the sounds of it, it's as good as the Bass driver for my bass tone, but I do also play acoustic guitar (mainly for recording purposes though). And of course, the PARA driver can be used for guitar as well, while the BDDI not so much......SO, my question is, does anyone know whether the Tone Hammer could be used for giving a great tone to guitar (because it sounds like the Tone Hammer is the best pedal since sliced bread these days!).

Hope this long-winded query makes sense!

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Looking at the specs of the Tone Hammer, the EQ looks like this:
    Code:
    Bass @ 40Hz
    Mids sweepable from 180Hz to 1kHz
    Treble @ 4khz
    Looking at the Paradriver DI, the EQ is:
    Code:
    Bass @ 80Hz
    Mids sweepable from 170Hz to 3.5kHz
    Treble @ 3.2kHz
    Looking at the Genz-Benz Shenandoah Compak 300 amp (one of the few acoustic amps I could find the EQ points for):
    Code:
    Bass @ 125Hz
    Mids sweepable from 250Hz to 5kHz
    Treble @ 8kHz
    Looking at the MXR 10-band EQ:
    Code:
    Bass: 31.25Hz & 62.5Hz
    Mids: 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, & 2kHz
    Treble: 4kHz, 8kHz, & 16kHz
    Will it work for guitar? Sure! Will it work for acoustic? Sure!

Will you like the sound you get out of it? That's something that you will need to find out on your own since good tone is pretty subjective.

However, I will say that more than enough guitarists are using the Tech21 VT Bass on their guitars to great effect (no pun intended). Poke around on Youtube and you should find at least one demo of this.

3. byrie

byrie

Sep 24, 2010
    Thanks for the reply!

You're totally right about the sound it makes being subjective - the problem I have is that the UK is a barren wasteland when it comes to bass drivers - I'm living in London and not ONE store has a Sansamp or Tone Hammer for me to try out, its ridiculous!! I've only been able to try an MXR M-80, and that didn't really do it for me.

So I'm basically having to base my decision on reviews at this stage - not ideal I realise, but I can't wait around until a store finally gets some pedals in as I'm gigging fairly regularly and need to fatten my sound as its a three piece rock band.

I have tried a Tech21 VT and I liked it, however I think something with DI and tube-amp-modelling capability would be more useful as I envisage I'll probably have the pedal permanently engaged whilst playing and recording (as opposed to a pedal I'll be stomping on and off like the VT).....

Tough decision!!:meh:

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I didn't mean that you should use the VT Bass instead, but rather that there are certainly guitarists using pedals specifically EQ'd for bass on guitar.

If your local stores have good return policies, I'd give one a call and just order the Tone Hammer. Worst comes to worst, you just return it for a refund within the allotted time. ;)

5. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Obviously tone is subjective and that is ultimately everyone's own decision.

To the OP regarding our Para Driver DI. I don't know all the specs of the other products listed, but the PDDI has a 4.7 megOhm input impedance.This was designed to to accept the high impedance of piezo pickups in acoustic intruments. This feature along with our SansAmp circuitry eliminates the harshness of piezo pickups while still preserving clarity.

6. NathanTbass

NathanTbass

Jun 16, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, dAddario, Kala uBass
    I just cut a record and the guitar player used my pedal board for the entire thing. He used the aguilar pedals for every song...tone hammer, octamizer, agro, and tlc and all sounded awesome on guitar!
    Go for it!

7. ^^ clips?

8. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Always awesome when the builders come by to drop some knowledge. :D

Also, total +1 to them soundclips! :D