Aguilar Tone Hammer Review - The truth down under :D

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Heart of bass, Feb 5, 2009.

1. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
  2. I just had to say... 1 year after reading this review... and I'm quite proud at the level of detail i supplied! I'm pretty interested to know how everyone else is doing with their tone hammers? I've had it for 1 year... and it's working well.. but I think i'm starting to have some D.i. issues :\

3. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    OK, just opened my box and played(struggled) with the battery compartment for a few minutes. The way it works is, first, connect the batteries while loose, then slide them into the little foam slot on top with the two batteries meeting with the wire packs facing each other in the middle and the wires pointing upwards. There's plenty of room to slide the bottom back in with the wires this way and they aren't banging around loose in the box.

You would think that such an advanced product would have a diagram of this in the manual.
    Any other thing like a alarm clock made in a third world country has a picture of how the battery fits, but not this. Go figure. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how it actually works. No thanks to the manual, of course.

Ike

4. johnbee

johnbee Gold Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Heart of Bass, this is a great review! I know it's a couple of years gone by, but I just bought one yesterday, and was looking for some info. Your review is so detailed, I kept saying "yeah, I noticed that too!". Anyhow, good job.

And +1 to Ike Harris about the batteries. It took me a long time to figure it out -- this product is woefully underdocumented. But it does sound amazing with my passive P-bass.

5. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Sent to me from Marco at Aguilar, due to recent issues I had with a 2nd hand unit I bought that had the batteries bouncing around inside and knocked something off the board.

Attached Files:

6. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Bumping an old thread. I played with this briefly at Bass Player Live.

Wouldn't changing the gain and master compensate for the extreme boost?

7. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, it would as well. I guess most people's complaint is that you have to go changing your gain structures around whenever you engage the AGS. The way Aguilar implemented it in the ToneHammer amp is more useable.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021