1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar ToneHammer Preamp/Direct Box Pedal: Good for practising with just Headphones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quasarblast, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Quasarblast

Quasarblast

Jun 2, 2016
    Is it possible using this pedal alone to practise with just Headphones, no PA or amp?

Cheers

2. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    You could patch it into a small mixer, headphone amp, or audio interface, but it only has unbalanced 1/4" and balanced XLR outs. I have a Presonus Audiobox audio interface with analog input monitoring (doesn't need a computer to work) that I plug mine into via XLR out for headphone use.

3. Quasarblast

Quasarblast

Jun 2, 2016
    Cheers for the response! Would this do the job? Could it be played live through PA with this set up?

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/mackie-mix12fx-12-channel-mixer/105208

4. voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Yeah, that'll work. You don't need that many channels so you could always go for a smaller mixer, unless you want to use it for other things that require more inputs. The nice thing is you can power your Tone Hammer with the phantom power from the board, too.

5. Quasarblast

Quasarblast

Jun 2, 2016
    Is there any disadvantage of using audio mixer to tone-hammer-effects pedals chain through PA vs using an amp to begin, would it make any difference to sound quality?

6. voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    You can plug the Tone Hammer DI directly into a powered speaker without a mixer. I've done this with various QSC speakers with good results for personal monitoring at reasonable levels. My experience is that a dedicated bass amp is probably your best bet long term as they are designed for the instrument's range, whereas a PA speaker is meant to be as full range as possible or be high passed and accompanied by a subwoofer for louder situations. I use my Tone Hammer plugged into a bass amp live currently.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    When I was trying out DI/Preamp rig ideas I would often plug into my 6" KRK powered monitor for practicing and fooling around. Great for quiet volume levels a bit hifi for my taste but a monitor will represent you what you are sending the board.