1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar Tonehammer question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    For those in the know...a couple of questions..if you are willing to indulge..I have read previous posts but there has not been much of late. The AGGIE website has some great audio links, so this unit is intriguing, if I can get motivated to clear out my RBI at some point here I will be after this unit quickly...

1. Have any of you used the tonehammer straight into a power amp and enjoyed the result? Which model of AGUILAR amp does a TH sound most like or is it it's own sound?

2. Can a tonehammer in front of a solid state amp(like a GK) add the trademark aguilar sound to said amp?

Guess I am interested if it is possible to approximate the Aguilar sound on a budget...

Thanks

Mark

2. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    anybody?

Thanks

Mark

3. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd answer YES to all your questions.
    I sold mine because I used it in my pedalboard as EQ/overdrive and I felt it was too big for my pedalboard.

It does give you a bit of that thing we call the Aguilar sound.
    I think that using it with a power amp would be the best use for the TH. I would have done this if I already didn't have 2 Aguilar amps.

With a poweramp it should get close to get AG500 in sound but be more versatile with the semi-parametric mids and AGS.

I think it's a great unit with the only downside being the volume boost difference between Engage and Engage+AGS.

4. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Thanks afroman..always enjoy reading your posts

MB

5. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Glad I could help.

6. Probably over half of my band's gigs are full band acoustic gigs, and I generally just use a DI box for those gigs. I'm strongly considering a Tonehammer to use for those gigs. I feel it will send a better bass signal to the mixer, plus it has a nice EQ section.

After that, I might also invest in a nice monitor that produces good bass tone. Eden D210MBX perhaps...

7. I run mine into my GK 400IV and it sounds great. Much better than the standard GK sound IMO. I love it.