1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar Tonehammer500 any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spiker, Jan 4, 2012.

1. spiker

spiker

Nov 29, 2008
    Central Coast NSW Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Puretone Bass strings
    Hi,

I currently play an Eden wt400 and want an upgrade. Just thinking about getting one of these Aguilar Tonehammer500's. I hear GREAT things about these little units, in that they emulate the DB series amp quite well and pack a real punch.

Any comments or advice to help me make my decision ?

2. spiker

spiker

Nov 29, 2008
    Central Coast NSW Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Puretone Bass strings
    Bump?

3. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I dont think ppl are going to respond to this. if they do, theyll definately be trolling. check out the main TH500 thread down a few pages. lots of info there... I just purchased one from MF, and am waiting for it to arrive but so far from what i hear, its one of the best micro headso ut right now, this coming from someone who used to love ampeg.

:bag:

4. I've been using one since may. It kicks ass and fits in the trunk of my car with the rest if my equipment. Ppl can't believe that such a big sound comes out of such am understated package.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Do it!

I used to have a WT400, and was always lukewarm to it, tonally. The Tone Hammer 500 is amazing with all my basses (Martin Keiths, Rickenbackers, G&L, Rick Turner, Fender, Yamaha).

6. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've owned a few WT's including a 400,300 and 800. My only drawback with the 400 was the compressor. Yes you can bypass, but it was useless to me. Sonically, the Eden is very warm and was always a pleasing amp with most cabs. The one thing that was a problem often was the fan. It was very loud when it was driven.

The TH500 is a pleasant compromise between most micro amps and the regular DB series amps. It is a very flat sound. Not super hifi or old school. It is not a DB 750. It gets you the sonic signature but not the kick of the 750. It's not just the wattage. The DB750 has one of the. It's robust power systems of any amp around. However it weighs10 times as much! The TH is a great amp and does what every Aguilar amp does.. Sits very well in the mix.

The TH is "quicker" sounding than the 750 but it definitely sounds full and clean with very usable EQ. A while ago I created a thread with sound samples comparing the TH500 to the DB 750, 359 & 680

8. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    +1 for great info from Pickebass. I agree completely with your insight.

I stilk remeber those sound clips, they started my TH500 curiosity. Now I own one and blame you. ;-)

9. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Is it any good? Yes. Good luck with your decision.

10. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    And once again thank you for that. Very helpful.