Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar tube amp v. Demeter tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanjones, Mar 10, 2002.

1. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Has anyone played through both of these power amps, and if so, what were the differences between them (aside from the 100 watts)? I'm planning a rig and trying to gather as much information as possible before I set out to start playing through different combinations and am trying to get an idea of what certain products offer.

Thanks for the info

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Jonesy!!!

is it really you??? stray a little too far, no?

well, i wanna answer your question, but i dunno what power amps you're specifically talking about? i'm not too familiar with either company making a 100 watt power amp. are you talking about the tube "preamps" they each make?

3. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    'tis me joker....mwaaaha ha haaaaa!!!!

lol

Demeter makes a 300 watt tube amp called the VTHF-300 and of course Aguilar makes the DB 780 400 watt tube amp. A lot of people have played through the Aguilar but I can't find anybody who's played through the Demeter to compare them.

Anybody??? :(

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe,

wazup, homeboy???

well, in regards to the two power amps, i think you should have made that clear in your thread title, then maybe you would have had more responses. i know lots of guys here use the Aguilar 780.

personally, i've tried the Aggie tube power amp with the 659 preamp, and its pretty awesome. crank it high enough and it gets oozy and creamy with tubey goodness.

havent tried the Demeter power amp, but the Demeter's products in general have a super hifi voicing. the VTB and HTB preamps have a crystal clear high voice much like a Kern, so i'm thinkin the power amps do as well. some guys like it, others want more tube like sag and tubey coloring to your tone.

so its up to what you want, but i'll gotta say most on this board just use crown, mackie, and QSC 2402's. solid state's lighter, more reliable, and easier to service. Stewart's World series is good and damn light, but some have said that anything below the 1.6 version isnt gonna have the low end thump.

5. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I figured if I made the title general then owners of one or the other product would come check it out and hopefully one of them would know. But, oh well....no big deal. I'll try it for myself eventually.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    A few years ago, I spoke on the phone with the gentleman who operates Austin Bass Traders, which may or may not still be operating, and which posted ads for a long time in the back pages of Bass Player. When comparing these two power amps, he said that the Demeter strives for accurate reproduction of the input signal, as do the rest of the Demeter line. The Aguilar, on the other hand, is designed with a definate signature sound, the "Aguilar Sound". So, I thnk the Aggie goes for grunt, while the Demeter goes for clean.

7. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Thank you coyoteboy....see, I knew somebody here would have some type of info for me. :D

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have tried the Demeter VTHF-300.
    Fine sound. Clear as a bell.

There is one used one for sale at Guitar-villa in Nazareth PA.

http://guitar-villa.com/pa_gear.htm

HEAVY AS ALL HELL THOUGH!!!

9. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Thanks Zulufunk. I'm not in the market to purchase right now, I'm just learning as much as possible about possible purchases for when I do buy one next year some time.

Does it have that tube warmth to it? Is the sound both warm and clear?

Thanks