aguilar tube direct box?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by funkfish, Nov 17, 2002.

1. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ

has anyone played through one of these?

how's it sound?
  2. While i have not personally played through one, i can tell you that which i have heard about the unit.

The first thing that i have heard is that his box is just a completely wonderful unit. It's supposedly incredibly warm and with little distortion, the warmth is presumably thanks to the 12ax7 inside the housing.

The second thing i've heard is that the only complaint, besides it being a large unit, is that it has a low output level, so it needs to be compensated for on the mixing board.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, it isn't marketed as a preamp, so that's not really a valid complaint.
  4. Oh i know, i wasn't referencing that complaint to be live show/preamp related. I just meant, that in the studio, unlike other DIs it has to be compensated for much more heavily on the board, i'm just giving off information that has been relayed back to me. Thanks Oysterman:cool:
  5. I use the Aguilar DI daily and it is just the cleanest, warmest DI I have ever used.

I use it to go direct into a recording console and find it warm, clear, and clean.

It has two outputs, a 1/4" unbalanced line out which is at unity and an XLR balanced output which is -10db.

I also use it going into the instrument input of my Walter Woods amp or Acoustic Image. It warms things up just enough and gives me the XLR output that Walter didn't. I go from the 1/4" output to the instrument in and from the XLR output to the board.

Another neat trick is to go from your instrument to an Aguilar 924 preamp then into the Aguilar DI and finally into the effects return of your amp. This bypasses the preamp section of your amp and allows you to use the tone controls on the Aguilar 924 preamp exclusively, warm things up with the tube DI and have a very nice tube sound indeed.

The uses are endless.

This DI is just great!