Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Users in the Atlanta Area

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Aug 7, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm very curious how many Atlanta-area Bassists use any of Aguilar's Equipment (i.e. cabs, DI's, Pre's, Amps).

If you could post What you have and Why, that would be great. (*pixs of TBer's rigs are encouraged as well)...

Thanks...

2. I've got Aguilar cabinets.. 2x10 + 2x12. I arrived at this set-up by swapping out my Eden D-410XLT for the Aggie 2x12, thinking I could make the 2x12 work as a stand-alone. They sounded very comparable in the store, but not in a band. So, I added the 2x10, and that did the trick.
    Here's a crappy picture of my rig:
    [​IMG]

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not really a fan of the cabs perse, but i'm a big time aguilar "amp" user.

i used to have the DB750, but it was waaaay too heavy and way more wattage than i needed. so i got a DB359 and couldnt be happier. its still a bit heavy, but i much rather have that sweet power tube lovin' than the volume.

but, other than my other fav combo of Kern/Epifani, few other things can compete with my Aguilar DB680 preamp running thru my Acme cabs. the killer tone and big time flexiblity of the DB680 works really amazingly well with the flat response, yet fully hifi low B lovin' Acmes.

Ooooooo, just gettin' goosebumps thinkin' about it! :D

IMHO, Aguilar is in that echelon of great companies that does it all, offering incredible hifi tone available in about every product from DI's and onboard pre's to larger mammoth 4x12 cabs that a working bassist needs. all they need to do is start offering their own line of basses!

EDIT: ooops, forgot this is only for Atlanta area bassists, tho i dont understand why... :meh: but i guess i just got excited. :p

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my db680 rules the school. it's the best preamp i've ever heard for bass. i've played through every high end preamp available, even through some high end vocal preamps like the avalon vt737 and even through a manley tube di into an ssl 4000 board, and the db680 is the best sounding, most musical preamp i've ever heard.

i highly recommend it - it's my pre for life. seriously - i can't see me ever changing or getting rid of it.

5. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

John,

Have you done an A/B with the Aggie DB680 vs. an Eden Navigator?If you have,please,do tell.

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Thanks guys (so far), I'm trying to get an idea, who (in Atlanta) is using their (Aguilar's) products...

Now I need to ask if there are Atlantans that would interested in Aguilar, that might not currently own their gear...

(*still feel free to post if you are a proud Aguilar owner, as well).

... The key is 'Atlantans', Joker it's totally cool to post, I completely understand getting 'gear-antsy'... That is what leads me to G.A.S. ... well, that and indian food :D

7. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey j-raj,
    Native Atlantan here..I use the DB750, GS210 and GS410..I used to be in a a completely volume challenged band and needed all I could get and still have a good, crisp tone..Nowadays, I could realistically get by with the 210 cab. I love the tone of this stuff and in a realistic setting, have all the headroom I'll ever need. I rehearse down at Taurean, or whats now Ray Clay studios if you ever want to come by and check it out..Its off Howell Mill and Collier, kinda..

Thanks
    Tommy

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i actually like the eden stuff i've seen, for what it is. i've played through various eden amps - including a navigator through an eden power amp - and they sounded fine, but they didn't have the pleasing clarity in the highs and high mids that the aguilar has to my ears (seemed to be replaced with some shrillness), and they sounded a bit synthetic for lack of a better term in the low mids - sorta flat.

then again, this was not done through the same cabinet setup, so it wasn't exactly a fair fight - the eden was through eden cabs, and the aguilar was through my rig, but still, i know the 410 xlt's sound well enough to compensate in my mind. the wp100 coupled with the wt1000 is a fine setup - that's what i played through - but i feel aguilar captures more of what i'm trying to get out of my bass, and is tighter sounding and more _real_, with more articulation and a sweeter high freq sound,not so strident and yet more detailed. does that make sense?

9. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

That makes complete sense to me.I wish others could describe differences in tone like you do.
    The reason I asked is,I played on Aguilar's 200 watt head at Ken Stanton Music(the one that's past the military airbase)and I wasn't that impressed with it.It was unbelieveably warm,and clean,but I couldn't dial out a "nasal" sounding mid-range it had.I was hoping for a "boutique",high class Ampeg SVT tone.
    Unfortunately it didn't really matter,because I can't afford Aguilar's gear anyway.I'll just stick with my Navigator,since I'm in love with it anyway.Thanks for the reply.

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah, I know where about's that area is... we need to hook up so I can check out that rig.

I also received a couple pix from Mark (@Eshenbaugh) aweek or so ago, they are a little earlier than the ones that you have up on that progress-posting thread. The bass is gonna be awesome, the woods look great... I was just bugging him, cause I was curious on the status of that SC. Did you ever meet Robbie Geisler b-4 he left for the mountains of NC? He was the first cat that was talk about Mark's basses, to me.

As for my interest in us Atlantans (or those in the area) and Aguilar... is that there aren't any dealers in the area and I'm trying to drum up some interest to see if a local shop would take the plunge.

(*Ken Stanton/Stan Kenton is not an Aguilar dealer anymore)

11. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    How is it that Alabama has 4 Aguilar dealers but Georgia doesn't have any? :meh:

I sure would like to try 1 or 2 of the GS112 with my Eden WT-400.

12. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    You know, I actually found out about Eshenbaughs from Rob when he worked at GC in Atlanta..Played a fretless and fell in love..

The only dealer I know of Aguilar in Atlanta is Ken Stanton on Cobb Pkwy, but their prices are straight list. I know Atlanta Discount used to carry them, but stopped because of issues with the units (i think before the got popular)..

I still think Atlanta should have a BASS ONLY shop!
    We should all band together and start up a store..

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    chardin,

I know man, that's kinda weird!

I have a GS 112, if it isn't a weekend evening or practice night (when I might be using it), drop me an email and I'd be happy to let you play thru it.

I absolutely love it and an going to get another one to keep it company on gigs!

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Actually from what 'an individual' said yesterday, KS is no longer a dealer... that is part of why I'm trying to find interested parties that would like to become one here in ATL... But Soybase brought up a bigger issue!

Yeah Robbie at GC was the first that told me about Esh's too... It was his Fretless that was a heart-stealer and he had a fretted, while Mark was finishing the Fretless that was sweet too! GC even had one after he left... I think that it was there for a short amount of time.

Atlanta Discount Music .... We'll, they have a Bergantino dealer-agreement and Bill Irwin is really set on the fact that there is nothing (in his 'not-so-humble-opinion) better than Berg's. My mother told me that if I have nothing good to say about 'something', that I should keep my mouth shut...

So going forward, SoyBase is getting 'part of' the drift of what I'm getting at:

:D

Any suggestions, or should I start this attempt in another thread?

Investors?
    Bassists sick of their day job?
    Atlantans that have bass in their blood?

15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I was in the Ken Stanton store on Cobb Pky and they have a new Aguilar DB 359 on sale for $999.
    It has been in stock for a long time and they just want to move the unit.That is a great price on that amp.

16. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Yeah, that 359 has been there since they were in the old store..I remember checking it out a LONG time ago...

I'd love to get into the business, but I have no idea where to start..I think ATL would rock out a Bass store..

17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    sorry to butt in but raj are you using a 12 by itself and gigging?

18. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    From talking with various bassists in the Atlanta region that are dissatisfied with the Guitar Center selection and handling of basses (since Rob left), I really think that a bass only store would be a great idea. Atlanta definitely has a fair share of bassists from what I've gathered. Plus I need a job :D .
    I have to say that Soy's rig (DB750 through Aggie 210 and 410) coupled with an Eshenbaugh with ebony top is pretty much my dream rig. Maybe make the Esh a J-5 and throw in the odd 210XST...And now that I know where your rig is... ;)

19. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Jon Burnet,

Yeah I use one for small venue gigs (i.e. Front Page News in Midtown for Atlantans that know)... and I use it for Practices. It is alot louder than you would expect.

It can take 300 watts and go down to 42 hertz, it sounds great...

I'm planning on getting another one for medium sized gigs as soon as my ebay stuff is sold...

Soy Base,

As far as 'where to start' this is a great forum to pose the question... I have a lot of sales experience and business AdMin experience, except it has been in a different industry (B2B, Financial industry and Business Services sales). I think the biggest thing is getting investors and networking a base of people that could help to make this happen.

I would like to drum up interest, but to be honest, finding out all of the 'buy-in' req's to be a dealer with many manufacturers is important to find out... Along with figuring out overhead, who this 'Atlanta-based' operation would serve (i.e., Some of eastern AL, Athens Cats, northern FL most of GA). Finding out the other boutiquey-instrument shops that are close by is important as well... 'who would we be in direct and indirect competition with'? Is GC gonna be an issue? Is there even a market here for the way-higher end bass dealer?

I guess bouncing similar questions with Dragonbass, Adrian Garcia, Brian Barrett... and others that are in this biz for themselves is important. Gard could give imput... Each of us Atlantans could give input...

Is this something that would be an interest to at least those that are here in ATL?

Curious, let me know....

20. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey Stachio, You are more than welcome to come by the rehearsal space and try out my stuff sometime...Im there on Wednesday nights, but other than that, its free..

As for the business..I know how much Aguilar wants for a first time retail purchase, and with their prices, its not bad at all..

I know the GC rep and selection wouldnt be a problem, except for the big namers, like Fender. I worked at Mars for a long time when they first opened and the reason Fender didnt want to sell to Mars is because GC was in their sales "radius"

I think if you did this well, and served that whole community "ie. internet sales" you could do great.

Maybe Gard will chime in on this..I started a thread about the same question a long time ago.

Hey J-raj, are you in the funk band that plays at FPN? I say funk, but more a R&B, goot time band? I saw a band there once where the bassist was playing a Jazz bass special, i think and was digging the music! Could it be your gig?