Aguilar vs Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michele, Mar 16, 2005.

1. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    I'd like to know from you, fortunate guys who experienced both, how the AG500 with its 2nd channel compares to a real tube sound of a DB359 head. I know the obvious difference between them but I'd like to know how close to the real tube vibe the AG500 can go.
    Anyway, thoughts about the two heads will be appreciated (have you understand I'm on the market for a new amp? :D )
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i havent done a head to head (ouch) comparison of the two at the same time. i can tell you that to my ears there is a good difference in tone just from the 500 to the 750, and the preamp section of the 750 is almost (not quite) identical to the 359's preamp. the poweramp sections of the 500 and 750 are different, but are both solid state, so the difference between tone (if any) would be far less than the tonal difference between the poweramp of the 500 and the tube poweramp section ofthe 359
  3. One of the biggest differences even from the 500 to the 750 is that the power section of the 750 is made very to the same high quality design of the best of the best studio S.S. poweramps. This is of course a huge plus in sound clarity. Moving from there to the 359 you get an even bigger difference. Tube poweramps just sound different from Solid State poweramps. But even then, I guess the question is the sound you want.

S.S. amps tend to be much more punchy and defined. Everything is very very accurate (which may or may not be what a player wants of course). Tubes tend to respond a bit different and offer a much larger low end presence due to the fact that the sound is saturated in the tubes.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't heard the 359, but I did get to hear the 500 and the 750 at Bass Emporium last December, and I agree that they sound significantly different. I really liked the 500. It has a very good "solid state" tone. With the overdrive channel engaged, it sounds like a SS amp with a nice overdrive applied, not like a tube amp. The 750 sounded much more "tube-like", and it was more warm sounding to my ears (though I didn't spend much time tweaking either unit, so it is possible that the 500 could dial in some similar warmth).

I know have a 659/728 (with a 680 on the way!), and this sound is quite different from either the 750 or the 500. Tube power amps really do sound different.

So, that's not a direct comparison, but that's all I've got to offer! :meh:
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a 359 and sonically these two amps are quite different. IMO the AG500 does not sound like the other tube stuff. The DB359 is a really warm, gushy, buttery, gooey PHAT sounding amp with superb hi-fi detail. The AG500 definitely sounds more solid state and has the aguilar "signature" but is definitely not the same. The 500's overdrive channel is OK, but I would get the single channel and just buy an overdrive pedal.

I also have the DB680/728 combo and it is still different than the Db359. Cant go wrong with all those tubes!

Tom.. you will be surpised with the difference between the 659 and 680. BTW because of you I just bought two berg 112s (had a GAS attack)
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

You can never go wrong with those Bergie 1x12's!
  7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    My first Aguilar amp was the DB359, then I went to the DB750, and now own that and an AG500. I'd say tone-wise the DB359 and DB750 are brothers, and the AG500 is a first cousin...if you can dig.

DB359 = Fat, warm and woolly.

DB750 = Same fatness, warmness and wooliness (maybe a tad less) but with a quicker attack and waaaaaaaaaay more headroom.

AG500 = Plenty fat and nicely warm, and wooliness can be acheived with use of the 2nd channel, but there's no doubt it's a solid state amp. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)