Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Vs Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Mar 21, 2005.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok- here is a $200 question for those of you that have tried both Aguilar and Avatar cabinets. I have an Aggie S-210, and might want to add more bottom with a 12, and since Aguilar and Avatar both Use eminence drivers, and have similar specs, how well do you think think the tones would match up? Would an Avatar SB112 compliment the Aggie 2x10 well? I got teh Aggie int eh first place because I loved the way it handled the highs, but I'm wondering if the extra $200 for the Aggie GS112 is worth it in the boom department.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id trust an Avatar to hold its own no problem.

3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I had both the Aggie 112 and an Avatar 112 (old version, rear ported). A/B'ing I'd give the edge to Aguilar. If you plan on only ever using the 112 with the 210, I think you'd be happy with the Avatar. If soloing a 112 cab alone I'd still give the edge to the Aggie.

Is it a $200 edge? Maybe not, but that's what it will cost you. Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it.

4. Eminence makes a lot of drivers and they make them to a lot of customer's specifications. The Avatar uses a Delta which is a stamped frame, the driver in the Aggie has a cast frame. Obviously they're not the same speakers.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    mmm good info guys- I didn't knwo what the difference was between the Drivers used between the two. I would dump the 112 before the 210- I much prefer the sound of 10's to 12's solo'd.

6. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado

The Aguilar "S" series also use a stamped frame driver. The "GS" series uses a cast frame driver.
    Regardless, the eminence drivers made for Avatar are still different than those made for Aguilar.

7. Ah ha, I didn't know that. Well what a bunch of cheap bastages! :oops:

8. The only flaw I could find that really seperates the Avatar cabs soundwise from the high end is the crossovers. There is a thread on here that talks about the advantages of switching to a different crossover. When I get my B212 cab in a couple weeks I'm going to try the crossover mod on it, unless I'm pleased with the out of the box sound. I bet with a better crossover in the cab the SQ would be closer.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have an Aggie GS212, and my father in law has an Avatar 4-10.
    The Avatar is nice for the price, but it's not even in the same species as the Aguilar IMHO. The Aguilar sounds fuller and richer. Of course, part of that equation could be that he uses an Ampeg B-2 head, which sounds like ass.

10. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    For what it's worth, I think for the money and bottom end you desire, I would just add another 210 cab. Both cabs (Avatar/ Aggie) are very good and effiecient, although I'm a Aggie fan. Even for small gigs, the 210 is not a pain to haul around. (That's what I use) And of course, when I want big, I add the 410 cab. Never had a issue keeping up or sounding full.Okay, I'll go back to my cave now.