Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar vs. avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddtodd, Jun 20, 2005.

1. now i know these are different, but im eyeing a 2x12.
    is the aguilar worth more than 2x the price of the avatar?
    what will hear different?
    those are the two cabs i am considering
    please give me your advise..

thanks

-todd

2. GK and Eden also offer 2x12s around the same price as the Aguilar, might want to give them a look too. Personally though, I haven't had any experience with any of them.

3. as i stated above, i am looking at those two and only those two.
    they both are aval locally used...
    looking for a comparison of those two really, and if the aguilar is worth more than 2x the avatar.

thanks

-todd

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    There was a thread on this a while back...

5. on those exact cabs?

*goes off looking...*

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yah, I believe the verdict was:
    Avatar- great amps for the price but Aguilar will beat them any day. Worth the extra $? Its all on your ears and situation.

7. im sure the aguilar is better but i am hoping ppl have played/owned both cabs and will let me know, i know this is subjective, how much better the aguilar is. and if in their opinion its worth more than 2x the avatar price.

thanks

8. I will suggest that if you are asking, then you are willing to pay the '2x' price. If this is the case, buy the Aguilar.

I have done this concerning the GS112. I've considered buying an Avatar SB112. The price of an Aguilar GS112 is $399 shipped. The price of an Avatar is $249 shipped. I'm buying an Aguilar.

One thing I have noticed about the Avatars is they have high power ratings. Someone may correct me here, but does a high power rating also suggest POWER HUNGRY? Aguilars are probably more efficient.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Screw the power ratings, volume is determined more by the cab efficency. The Aggie will take quite a load as well.

10. avatar = 1000 watts
    aggie = 600 watts

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah I'm sure the Aguilar is somewhat more efficient... but they both definately get the job done. Avatar might not have the efficiency of a Schroeder or nothin, but they could hold their own in terms of volume with several big name brands, I'm sure.

The bigger issue here is probably in the tone department. I would definately consider Avatar kind of a poor-man's Aguilar. I'm sure they have more of an identity than that.... but there is definately acceptable similarities that would bring someone to this conclusion. If someone simply does not have the cash for Aguilar, Avatar is kind of the notch below.

While most all of us know that Avatar is an amazing quality for the money... we also know that you get what you pay for. The B212 will work fine for you and probably keep your ears and wallet satisfied... but there always is that notch above it. Aguilar doesnt have higher prices for no reason... and if your a little bit hungrier for a different tone, then the Aguilar just might be worth the extra couple hundred or whatnot.

It works in many, many ways.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Todd - Watt watings don't really mean anything when it comes to volume though.

IMO, the Aggie is a great cab and worth the money.

13. Haven't played the Avatar, as they aren't available in Australia, yet *coughremoisaluckybastardcough*! Remo on these boards is the only known Avatar owner in Australia.

I have played the Aguilar GS212 though, and I found it to be an Awesome cabinet, it has the ability to go low, but produces some very tight low/mid's. An awesome sounding cabinet and from the out side it certainly looks well constructed. It's rather compact in size if you are after that- but I hear they are abit power hungry. Yes the work well on low juice, but I hear if you pump some serious whats into them then they sound so much better.

Avatars are said to be quiet efficient, obviously they will sound different tone wise, due to different construction, the Avatar is bigger, will probably have the ability to go a little lower- but I doubt it would sound as tight. You could however add say 2 internal braces and it may completely change the preformace of the cab sound wise.

Try before you buy I'd say. What head are you running though them and what does the heads eq boost /cut?

14. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

Todd,

I use a QSC PLX-3402 to power up my Aguilar cab(s). (I am the guy selling one, I think it was you who called me!!!). Anyway, I specifically got the 3402 so that I would have PLENTY of headroom. The PLX-3402, in stereo mode, puts out 1100W into a 4 ohm load. I have NEVER had the slightest problem with my older GS-212. It has been rocked HARD!!!!! And, with that kind of power going to it, it sounds so incredibly ALIVE!! Very punchy, very focused lows, and VERY LOUD!!!!!!! Now, I don't have an Avatar 212. (Why would I?? I have TWO Aggie GS-212s'....one could be yours'!!!!), but I do have an Avatar SB112.
    One thing I know for sure, the Aguilars' have a much better internal crossover and control for the tweeter. A pretty big thread was found here a number of months ago about upgrading Avatar cabs with a new crossover. I am here to tell you that the upgrade does wonders for the Avatar cabs, BUT.............the Aguilar cabs still have them beat for just,....just,.....LUSCIOUS TONE!! Another thing, I got the second GS-thinking that, 1)., It would be COOL to have TWO!!! and 2.), It would be LOUD to have two!!!!............. I have never needed the second one. And so it goes.......... :D I am NOT going to get rid of my original GS-212. I use it sometimes with my Avatar 210 on top. PLENTY of highs, mids, lows, and every nuance in between!!! And not too huge, either!! Anyway.................Aguilar GS-212's can easily handle '1100W'. I am a FIRM BELIEVER in mating amps to cabs, the amps having power to spare over and above the 'rated' power handling of the cab. Impedence matching, and POWER TO SPARE. A good amount of headroom like what I use really, really makes the cab sound, well, alive. Very present. Anyone you play with will notice, and tell you (!), that they can HEAR the bass when you use a good cab and an amp that has plenty of headroom. I'll never use underpowered gear ever again.
    Oh, one more thing....I have used my older GS-212 numerous times with a QSC RMX-850 bridged, 830W @ 4 ohm. Still plenty of juice, but not quit as 'alive' as 1100W!!!!!!!!..

HEY---the cab is still available!!!!! It's in Oceanside at my parents' place. I can get it anytime to ya!!!!!! :D