Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar vs bartolini preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jackbass, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Hi Bassfriends,

I am looking for changing the electronic parts of a Warwick bass.

I would like to know wich preamp is the best between Aguilar OBP1 and bartolini NTBT preamp?

I don't want medium controls (2 bands controls only) but I don'k now these preamps.

I am searching for a clear and dynamic preamp. :hyper:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi, if you do a search you'll find plenty of discussion on this topic.

Here's one thread I found via search:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152911

IMO the Aguilar OBP1 is more transparent, but it's boost only which might be an issue for you or not.

3. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Thank you, It's exactly the subject I was looking for. My search didn't find it.

Thanx :p

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I am sorry, but there is no "best".

There is Aguilar, bartolini, Demeter, Sadowsky, EMG etc. that are all top of the line with different sounds and different working capabilities. Do you want transparent? Warm? Agressive? Two or three band? Boost only or boost and cut? The ability to bypass the preamp?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172603

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113281

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121704

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139113

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192693

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170847

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm more a fan of the EMG stuff in Warwicks, but between the two, I'd choose the Aguilar.

6. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Thanks for your answers. A friend will change the MEC preamp in the coming days, and the bass will have a 18V alimentation.

Then I will see if it sounds better with the new electronic components. If I am not satisfied I will go for EMG pickups.

Thanx again!

7. with both preamps set flat, the aguilar will sound a little more clear/uncolored.

8. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    My Corvette Std sounds great with the Bart NTBT

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    One of my basses has active EMG pickups, and it *had* the EMG BTS system (2 band boost/cut). That is until I replaced the preamp with an OBP-1. I kept the EMG pickups though, so now it's EMG pups with Aguilar preamp.

IMO, the Aggie blows the doors off the EMG. Much fatter tone, tons of growl. Careful with that bass boost there! Whoa!

10. I wouldnt' say that the Aguilar OBP-1 "has tons of growl" but I wouldn't hesitate to say its a 'thicker' sounding preamp.
    but does thicker = growlier?
    not in my head/ears.

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I'd say it depends on the pickups that it's paired with...

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    and the preamp that you had in there before, for sure.
    Replacing a colored preamp with a transparent preamp can allow aspects of the bass sound to show through that didn't previously.

13. In this instance, he's talking about replacing a transparent pre w/ a colored one. That will only mask tonaly qualities... as you's know.

But I would like a futher explinantion of how the Aguilar will add growl, to any pickup, if that what your agreeing with. I just don't see that happening. If anything, I would see the Aguilar smoothing, and fattening up the tone. I used the outboard for a couple days before I returned it due to that very thing happening to me... a smoothing and fattening.

No growl there to my ears guys... sorry.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you're talking about dunamis, he's quite clearly talking about how he replaced his EMG preamp with an Aguilar preamp. i.e. replacing a colored preamp with a more transparent one. If you're not talking about dunamis, I don't know what you're referring to.
    Where did I say that?
    I said that replacing a colored preamp with a transparent preamp will let aspects or the bass sound show through which couldn't show before
    I have used Aguilar outboard and offboard preamps both at home and live, and wouldn't necessarily agree with that. At the end of the day, we all have our opinions, but remember that what sounds good in your bedroom might not sound good live and vice versa.

15. Yes, I was talking about dunamis. When I said "replacing a transparent pre w/ a colored one." - I was talking about the EMG (trasparent pre) and the Aguilar (colored one).

Also, its seemed that you were agreeing with denamis when he mentioned that you could get more growl from the Aguilar depending on what pickups they wree paired ups wiht. His exact words: "I'd say it depends on the pickups that it's paired with..."

and you then said: "and the preamp that you had in there before, for sure.
    Replacing a colored preamp with a transparent preamp can allow aspects of the bass sound to show through that didn't previously."

I take that "and" as an agreement.

Basically it all just looks like a mis understanding. I'm SURE you couldn't agree the Aggie will add more growl, right?

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    With EQ flat, the Aguilar is transparent to my ears. With EQ flat, the EMG is not to my ears - it's not a very quiet preamp.
    Once you start using any eq boost/cuts on a preamp it cannot, by definition, be transparent anymore.
    My point was that pickups/preamps work in combination, in general terms
    Once again, I didn't say that anywhere

17. I didn't think DavidM would.

18. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ...would say that the Aguilar pre/EMG pup combination has *a lot* more growl in my bass than the EMG pre/EMG pup combination had.

Just my $.02, IME, IMHO, YMMV, and all of the other disclaimers apply. Contact your Doctor if you get a painful erection lasting more than 4 hours...

19. I contacted him twice already and no call back...

hmm...... :meh:

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not doubting you in any way, I'm sure it does. I'd say it's probably the pickups more than the preamp doing that, mind.

The obp-1 has a great fat bass boost, but I wouldn't say it adds growl (a really nebulous term anyway). I had an obp-3 in my old warwick thumb 5, and it was a huge improvement over the stock MEC preamp.