Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar vs EBS 410`s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Aug 24, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How does Aguilar´s and EBS´s 410´s compare soundwise? Lowend response for a 4-string? How do they cut through in a mix?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm not a fan of EBS cabs at all.

with like minded EBS heads and amps, the EBS 4x10 is great. but with anything else, whether it be with Roger Sadowsky's all Aguilar tube setup or an Eden WT400 i tried it with, the 4x10's highs were tooo harsh. like razor blades to the ears. also, the midrange just sounded too congested and upfront. great for slap, tho.

aguilar's 4x10, tho, is a fav of mine. like a cross between an Epifani and Eden XLT cab. airy and clean like the Epi, but not quite. nicely gut slammin' in the lower midrange like the XLT, but not quite. a great all around cab. pair it up with an Aguilar 2x12, and its pure joy! with a 1x15, and its devastating... :eek:

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Great comparison. Thanks!

Anyone else?
    Does the GS410 have a smiley face Eq built in like the GS112 cab? Or is it bettter for cutting through a mix than the GS112?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have two Aguilar GS 410's. I agree with joker's post above, they are a nice medium between high-fi and aggressiveness, a great all-around cab.

I haven't compared it to the 112, but I wouldn't say its got a "scooped mid" thing going at all. Its got a tad of low-mid bump if anything, but not nearly as much as the Eden XLT.

BTW: I get more lows out of my Aggie 410's than I do my Aggie 115, go figure. The 15 does have a bit more of a "classic" character to it, though.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have an EBS 4x10 that I play with my Fafner. I've never played it with any other amp, so I can't really comment on what Joker said.

But, with my Fafner, I believe that the EBS 4x10 is a loud, accurate sounding cabinet, particularly for a 4-string bass. It reproduces the low "B" on my 6-string very well, but doesn't quite have the lows to rumble the room the way some cabs do. Either way, the low "B" can still be heard with authority coming from my cab.

From what I've heard between EBS and Aggies, EBS is flatter sounding than an Aguilar cab, and is also more aggressive.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ok,

i'm not too familiar with all this talk about the "smiley face" or "scooped" sound of the GS112. dunno where it came from, and i'm here to stop it. :mad: IMHO, the GS112 is more on the dark, smooth side, but it doesnt sound scooped to me. its got a very chewy thick midrange.

now, with that said, IMHO, any cab with 10" speakers is gonna be much more punchier and articulate than any speaker that's larger, whether it be a 12" or a 15".

10" just naturally cut the mix and punch like no other speaker. that's why its soo popular, that's why they're in EVERY cab imaginable.

with the GS112, you just really need to hit it up with a good amount of upper mids for the same kind of cutting power you naturally get with 10" speakers. also, pulling back on the low end also clears its sound up a bit for that cut.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hehehehehe he said "chewy".

:cool:

8. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I like gs410 a lot. It cuts through mix better than any cab I played, except maybe ampeg 8x10". The thing that impress me... LOWS and highs are so goood. It has that "vintage vibe"