Aguilar vs. Eden (sound)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Apr 15, 2003.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Can anyone compare these two brands? Previous comments about these brands bring up the same descriptions: "warm", "fat", "hi-fi"... I found another thread that addressed this subject but it veered off more towards build quality rather than sound. I'm looking more for a comparison of the tone of these amps.
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    My first nice amp was a WT-500 Highwayman, with a 210XLT or a 410XLT. Good sounding, tight, punchy, very flexible... but I always felt like turning knobs - it never sounded RIGHT. Now of course, that could of had a lot to do with my skills at the time as well, so keep that in mind. Now I play an Aguilar rig and LOVE it, so much that I rarely tweak. Still punchy, but warm, organic, clear, and with almost a living vibrancy.

To me, Eden's heads sound a little mellow, dark, and uninteresting when compared to Aguilar.

But that's just me. I'd say the main difference is that the Aguilar heads sound more open and natural, while Edens are tonally more aggressive and barky.

If any of that doesn't make sense, let me know...

What kind of music do you play? What sound are you looking for? What basses do you play? Cabs?
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Van knows wassup.

i'll just add that i do like the Eden tone for something aggressive and rock oriented. has a warm furry sound.

the Aguilars can get that aggression with the right cabs and tweaking, but on the whole, they've got a hifi, open dimension that the Edens dont quite get.

still, i like both, just for certain apps.
  4. I'm currently using an Eden WT-500 "The Highwayman" and have been using it for about 2 and a half years. I've only got a D210-T cabinet so I know I'm not getting the full potential out of it. However, I've always loved the sound of Eden as it is an extremely warm sound, almost tubelike to me, as compared to something like SWR or Trace Elliot which seem a little more trebley, not to say it's a bad sound. I just prefer the sound of an Eden compared to those two.

I've also had the pleasure of playing an Aguilar rig, and given that it had more power and a bigger cabinet (the Aguilar 410) than my Eden set up, it made me believe that that's how bass is supposed to be. Warm, fat, crisp, and all the other things under the rainbow.

Overall though, I really love the sound of Eden cabinets, especially the 410XLT just because of it's characteristic low-mid bark, so my dream rig would be to get an Aguilar head or rack system pushing an Eden 410XLT. That's really all I would need.

You can't go wrong with either company I don't think. Pricewise Eden is lower than Aguilar, but they're both very solid brands for the dollar.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Van's pretty much hit it on the head there. I myself am an Eden user, because I preffer the more agressive bark that that Eden can throw out. A lot of people call Eden thick and wooly, but that's just a facet of the sound. Instead of sounding like a tube amp, it's like playing the tube itself. If that makes any sense at all.

I really dig it. Of course, according to nearly everyone I meet, I'm an anomaly of amplification I used to have 2 410XLTs, 1Kw Carvin poweramp and a WT-300 as a preamp. Rig Of Doom. Now I use 1 410XLT and an EB HD212, but only out of circumstance (never should have sold that other XLT. Grumble grumble...).
  6. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I actually have an aggie pre right now that I really like. I'm just kicking around the idea of trying something that is a bit more portable and less expensive. I played another bassist's upright through a wt-400 and a bag end s15 and it sounded like you described it. But that fat sound was nice. This is about all the experience I have with eden though and was wondering yoos guys who have owned them thought. I may be willing to sacrifice some sound for portablility and cost but if the aggie is blowing the eden out of the water then maybe not.