Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar vs. Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 6, 2002.

1. How do you guys think that these two compare to each other? Which one would you pick over the other if price wasn't an issue. Mainly, i guess i'm comparing the DB 680 to a WT-600 or WT-800, since it's the sound we're comparing.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    aGuiLAR dB680 OwNZ jOO!!!!

:D

jason

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    WT-800

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, you know I'm going to say Eden, but shoot, I was mighty impressed when I played a Fafner, and I'm sure the Aggie would be just as impressive. This one's going to get down to personal taste.

There's your cop-out of the day.

5. Although I love my WT-500, what I would do is go for an Aguilar preamp/head with Eden cabinets. I know some people like Aggie cabs and I've tried them out too and think they're great, but I prefer the sound and also the look of Edens. Yeah, I guess a bit of me is materialistic! ;)

6. Of course after falling for my WT800, Aguilar bring out the DB750...man, GAS sucks sometimes!

7. Eden stuff's pretty nice, but if I had to choose between Aguilar and Eden there's absolutely no question that I would go with Aguilar. Sonically, the Eden is more coloured than the Aguilar. It has a very identifiable Eden sound. The Aguilar preamp is very truthful, to me it sounds like more of the bass's character shines through. It's a lot like plugging into a great recording console through a tube pre. The sound seems to have more depth and is very transparent although you can get some nice grind if you crank the input gain. Of course sound is subjective and a lot of people dig the Eden sound. Construction-wise there isn't really any contest. Aguilar's point to point wiring, soldering, components and general construction easily outclasses Eden (and pretty much anything else). I wouldn't expect to see much Aguilar stuff on the bench, which is more than I can say for Eden.
    I haven't tried the Aguilar cabs, I would expect them to be nice, but I know I like Eden's boxes.

8. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I did try out a used Aguilar DB680 at daddy's a little while back with the Garry Willis Ibanez signature bass and it did sound pretty damn good. Yes. BUT when I finally tried out an Eden (after a year of hearing about them, etc...) I was hooked. The Eden to me just has a more "natural" tone. I do not touch the EQ and my Pentabuzz sounds just the way I like it. The size, weight, and tone of the Eden are other factors why I love the head so much.

Aguilar DB750? eh, not interested anymore. Twice as heavy, bulky, and its all tubes (which is good and bad). Go to your local shop and try some out. Let your ears do the buying.

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Only reason you don't see Aguilar stuff on the bench is because they are not as popular, or as sought after as Eden equipment. Edens only the bench because of more users, thats all. Its just ratios. I bet if Aguilar was out there like Eden, they'd be on the sideline for repairs just as much as the Edens. I wouldn't doubt Eden worksmanship and quality of construction for a second, and I'm sure alot of other TBers would agree with me.

10. :D

Nope, the DB750 is a 3-tube preamp, SS poweramp hybrid. At 36lbs the wattage-per-pound is quite nice (750w/4ohms)...which is only 10lbs more'n the WT800.

I would love to try an Aguilar here...not bloody likely! :D :D

11. I've had both Edens and Aguilars apart, as well as a lot of other things, including mixing consoles that cost as much as a house. I've spent a lot of time repairing music electronics so I do know what I'm talking about here. I also know a lot of electronics service guys who repair amps for a living. The consensus is that while Eden's construction and QC is good, it isn't really comparable to Aguilar's. The workmanship and components in Aguilar stuff is considerably better than in any mass produced stuff. This includes Eden, SWR, SLM Ampeg, Hartke, etc. You'd have to take them apart and compare them to have an appreciation for what I'm saying.

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Thats all cool, but I didn't mean to question your judgement. I was just representing on the behalf of Eden against the others who are apparently biased for Aguilar.

I'll shut up now...

:p

13. I didn't intend to come off as bashing Eden stuff, as it is quite good and is probably the best put together of all the mass produced amps. I haven't had a chance to take apart an EBS or Glockenklang.... yet. I wouldn't say no if someone was going to give me an Eden :D. It's obviously good stuff, look at the people who are using it. Personally I like the sound of Aguilar stuff better, but that's just subjective of course. Actually I like my '76 SVT better than any of them :D.

14. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I was very interested in that Aguilar DB750. Still would like to hear reviews if they are out there...

I did get a chance to try out a DB359 and the DB680 matched with a Crown Power amp through an Aggie 4x10. I thought the 359 (or whatever#) sounded decent. Didn't have the punch or volume I was looking for. Sounded good at a low volume but turned up sounded a little "dead".

The Preamp and power amp combo sounded a lot better BUT the price is outragous!:eek: The reason why I wanted to check out the DB750.

Eden has the tone. I mean I tested the WT-600 for litereally 2 1/2 hrs in the store with my gear. Compared to the Aggie DB650+Poweramp the tone was very similar to my ears. Price made up my mind here.

But anyway you NEVER see Eden ADS in bass player or etc... This just tells me that Eden is in a class of its own. You can not go wrong with an Aguilar or Eden.