Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar vs. epifani 410 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Jun 7, 2003.

1. aguilar GS-410

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. epifani 410-T (not the ultralight)

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i am leaning strongly towards the aggie for it's not-so hi-fi sound. i like a little grunt in my sound. plus, it's more affordable as well...

i have never played through an epi 10-combo cab... i understand that it is more hi-fi than the aggie, but how much? i like the fact that the epi can handle more power as well.

so, has anyone ever a/b'ed these two cabs?

i would be driving whatever cab i get with my svp-pro/qsc 1850 hd, so it will have to handle a good amount of power and have good lowend. i prefer a more vintage sound: classic rock and blues... any thoughts, suggestions, or comments? thanks! :confused:

(i know that my 610 poll has just resurfaced but i think that 410 cabs are the way to go in terms of portability and sound)

2. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    any concerns over each cabinet handling a lot of power at higher volumes? (i play 5'ers: a lakland skyline 55-01 and a fender roscoe beck v) thanks again! :bassist:

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

both have about the same hifi airyness up top, but the Epi's got nicer upper mid definition. also, i like the clarity and definition of the low mids and low end, that bring me back to the Epifani sound.

but you're right about the slightly more aggressive low mid bump of the Aguilar, and in some situations for a pick attackin' Pbass, i'd prolly dig that. to my ears, alot like the Eden XLT in that respect, but not nearly as harsh, hairy, or edgy sounding. smoother, and sweeter.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I have to agree with jokerjkny on the Epifani is will stand out over the Agui for sure power wise and tone.

Funny you say the Agui sounds a lot like an eden..... it is an eden measurement cab. Horne’s are different which might be why you hear a little difference in the horn aspect. Agui started with the eden horn and got cut off from using it and had to find another horn to drop into it.

These to cabs really are no comparison!

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks for the replies gentlemen! i'm just wondering how the epi will do for that classic rock style... in my experience, the hi-fi stuff tends to stay hi-fi and not do so well with a little bit of tube OD... i know that darryl jones uses it for the stones (and their style and recorded tone is something i've always admired) but i haven't heard him play live.

any more thoughts? :confused: :bassist:

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I tend to find it just the other way around. I’ve had a number of guys buy the Epifani for the clarity they have verse the other with a lower mid focus. The clear sound of the epifani work better with the tube tone and the lowend end growl a tube generally delivers. If you take a cab that is colored in the low mid and then run it with an all tube head which has a lot more thickness and lowend end warmth to it, it can tend to get muddy. With a clear cab and more even response it tends to keep a thick sound while not being muddy.

Just my opinion and from the responses I’ve received.

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks! mud does tend to be a problem... we are a three piece and i often cover both bass and keyboard-type parts in what i attempt :rolleyes: to play on my 5's... i'm going to have to try out some epi 10's in person before i decide. :D

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    heading down to the guitar villa (for the first time) hopefully this coming weekend or possibly the following one... they have a 310 in stock that i can try out. :)

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love Guitar Villa!

i might be heading over there tomorrow, tuesday. hey, maybe we'll bump into one another. i'll be the guy with the Elrick. ;)

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i think it's gonna be some time on wednesday that i actually get there... but even that's still up in the air. :meh: maybe another time if i like their selection. (which i'm sure i will)

:cool:

11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the guy who helped me (didn't get his name but he had a long pointy braided beard) was ver y nice for a guitarist :spit: :) i got to a/b the epi 310 along with the aguilar 410 and 412 using a lakland skyline 55-01 and an ampeg b5r's preamp through an eden wt-1000 (close to my tone). the epi won hands down in my book.

i found it to be tighter and deeper than both the aggie cabs. it was so focused that you could actually hear every little nuance of the bass. changing right hand position made significant tonal changes as well. then when i started to eq a little more, it made a world of difference as opposed to the aggies which sounded more muddy with the more you gave to them. this cab made it very easy to recreate several usable tones... and the low end was incredible! i could add in that low-mid bump if needed in the epi, but i couldn't get away from it with the aggies. (now the aggies are very nice cabinets, don't get me wrong, but if you are looking for a thick but actually clear, warm, open, sound, aguilar may not be for you. in my opinion, they paled in comparison) the aggies also started to fart out quicker than the epi with more bass from the onboard active pre. which i think really came to life with this cabinet. anyways, i have made my decision... i can't wait to order this monster (in a 410 though, not the 310) in august!!! my only regret was not having enough time to play around with more of the gear they had there... my real reason for the trip was to go apartment-hunting for my brother who is going to lehigh for his master's/phd and we had to get a move on before kerry king of slayer showed up for some silly guitar workshop. :eek: :D ;)

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you were right about it sounding good with overdrive... :D :bassist:

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool, Biggie

glad you found somehting you really dug!

are you getting the regular 4x10 or the ultralite?

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    gonna go with the regular... i loved the way the 310 sounded. it was THE tone! don't want to alter that too much (except for adding another 10). i don't know if i can wait until august... anyways, thanks for your input and guidance! ;) :D

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'll be sure to give Nick and Brett a few visits and bug'em about it. ;)

16. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    already wrote him last night to inform him how impressed i was at the sound of his tens and how remarkable i thought it was that they could go as low and be as warm as his 212 (which i have played) and still be that loud and clear! and to let him prepare in advance for my cabinet. :p i don't want to bug him too much though or he'll reverse my crossover and send my lows to the horn and vice versa... or worse yet, buy some aguilar speakers and put those in just to spite me! :spit: :oops: :D

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I like Epifani, they have a pretty flat sound. I'd rather the not-so-colored sound. Then again, I am buying a BAM for a reason. Flat speakears + amp modeling and cab modeling.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Just a side note......Daryl Jones does not use any Epifani equipment with the Stones.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really?

i was told that Darryl used the Epifani preamp prototype for much of last year's tour.