Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AGUILAR VS. EPIFANI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Senor SQUID, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I own 2 Aguilar GS410 ( 1 is for sale=still in box) and am getting an Epifani T 410UL this THursday. I was wondering if anyone did a comparison and could tell me the differences. The Epifani only weighs 57 lbs. which I think is unbelievable and if it sounds as good as I think it does I might sell my other GS410 for maybe a 212UL or other type of Epifani. I have never playef through Epifani so all feedback is appreciated. Just finished shoveling 27 inches of snow while My buddy Rob Loprinzi is @ NAMM :eyebrow:

2. jza57

jza57 Supporting Member

I have been using a 310 UL for a few months and its been enough for 90% of my gigs. For what I am doing, I wish I had just gone ahead and gotten a 410 UL. They can take alot of EQ and power. I think your 410 UL will be way enough for anything short of a large outdoor concert. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the cabinet.

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I've had somewhat limited experience with Aguilar compared to my Epi experience, but I've heard the difference this way: Aguilar cabs tend to have a more scooped midrange. I've read on here that some people find the Epi cabs' mids to be somewhat scooped, and while compared to Schroeders or maybe the flat response of AccuGrooves I suppose I can see where this comes from. But I'd say running an Epi 410 next to an Aggie 410 (sub 212 as well) you could hear how much more the mids are scooped on the Aggies.

Clarity I would say is another difference. A lot of die-hard Aggie fans may disagree with me, this is only my opinion, what I've heard. I think the Epi's have a bit more clarity than the Aggies, all the way across the spectrum. Both are well defined and smooth, but the Epi's have seemed slightly clearer to me.

The same is true with bottom. To my ears the Epi's seem to have more bottom, that holds together really well and doesn't get boomy. Always clear on the lower notes in the B, but BIG.

All that said, I believe you'll find the UL cabs to be a bit more mid-pronounced than the NYC cabs. This may make them a bit more suited to cutting through loud guitars as well.

All that said, I want to stress that I do not dislike the Aguilar cabs' tone at all. On the contrary, I like it very much. I've played Epi cabs live, and never Aggie cabs, although I've heard an Aggie 212 on a gig before, and while it was a sweet, full tone, it did tend to get lost when things got loud. I've not had that experience with the Epi's. So, while I really dig the Aggie tone, I think I like it better soloed than in a band gig situation, the Epi's I like for both :D

Hope that's been of some help. . .

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Thank you for the very thorough review. I do agree that AGUILAR 4X 10 cabs have a great BOOM but sometimes the boom is not as crystal that I would like. I can't wait to try the Epi

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The Aguilar is no match for the Epi. At NAMM, the Spector booth is right next to the Aguilar booth and about 10 spaces away from Epi. Anywho, I was there on Wednesday, setup day helping Spector and heard this amazing sound. I walked to the end of the aisle and it was Epi. Those cabs are as clear as anything I have ever heard. If you have the cash Epi is the way. As soon as I can afford it I am switching.

6. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    How was NAMM? Was there a ROSCOE booth? Your Cd is in my truck right now bro. Feel the funk

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have gigged regularly with an Epifani 410UL for the last 4 moths and it's fantastic. The sound is so sweet and elegant I guess you could say. It doesn't have a huge bottom end but it is still quite large. My six string has never sounded better. And I can carry it with one hand, my amp with the other, and my bass on my back in a ritter gig bag. Such a good little setup. Enormously loud too.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i dont think the difference between some of these cabs is that dramatic. epifani vs berg-definitely. epifani vs eden/aguilar-not that huge of a difference imo. before i sold my eden 410xlt i a/b'd it with my epi 410. the epi and eden both had a similar high mid scoop with the epi being a little clearer on the lows. no earth shattering differences though. i also a/b'd my epi 210 to an aguilar 112 and they were also similarly voiced. the epi tweet was slighlty smoother in all cases.

9. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Can you describe the difference you hear between the epi and berg voicings?

10. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Nice comparison!

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the horn is crossed over at a different frequency. there is much more present upper midrange.

12. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have both a berg 322 (x2) and a epi 410ul, 212.
    Lows:
    epi; tighter, sounds deeper, punch.
    berg; feels deeper, sounds bigger, sounds more 'pa' like big.

mids:
    epi; tight, punch, clear.
    berg; big sound that cuts through.

highs:
    epi; clear and not harsh
    berg; smooth, very clear, not harsh. I have yet to hear a cab with better highs.

To me the epi sounds a bit louder and cuts (punch) a bit better in a boomy room. If a room sounds 'thin' the berg has a much bigger sound and is more room filling. The berg also sounds better overall to me and blends with the band perfect, that sometimes is a problem in a boomy room and when you need to hear yourself. In a live setting the two cabs are more similar than my description would lead you to belive. I really like both cabs a lot but if I had to choose and could only have one cab, it would be the berg. JMO

on a side note, I have 9 basses, 3 pre's/power and one head. Different combos of gear work better than others. YMMV.

13. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    That is the berg has much more present uppper midrange?

14. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Wow, great description. Thanks!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm with you on that one, bro! :p

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It seems that everyone is saying that although they definitely prefer the Epi, Aggie, Bergie, or some other cab's tone, that there's really not enough of a black and white difference between them that would swing them to or eliminate one or the other. Therefore, I think you have to look at other factors too and how important these are in making your decision.

One: Weight/portability. Although you young dudes seem to always say you don't "mind" the weight, when you're comparing a Bergantino 322 cab, it's 90+ pounds. The Schroeder 410 which is comparable to the Aggie and epi 410's is 74 pounds. Both the Epi 212ul and the 410 UL are in the mid/hi 50 pounds. Your Aggie, if I'm not mistaken, is around the same weight as the Eden 410xlt which is in the mid/hi 90's....it's a schlepper of a cab!!! The Epi UL cabs have a DEFINITE advantage here. If schleppability is of any major importance to you here, Epi wins, if it's affordable and you absolutely don't "hate" their tone which no one I've ever heard saying in any review or thread yet.

I'm not sure of the street price of the Aggie. The Epi's (and Bergie's) are at most discounted around 25%? An Epi UL410 is likely in the $1100-1200+ range + delivery. I'm sure the Aggie is less expensive. The Schroeder 410 and 21012 is just over $900.00 delivered in the US.

I've owned an Aggie 112 and an Epi NYC 212. The Aggie was only "good" for adding more fullness to my tone...I was using it with either 1 or 2 EA VL208's. There was zero comparison in the clarity of these cabs, I'll tell ya. On the other hand, my Epi 212 had it all tone wise, nice top, punchy mids, huge bottom, but at close to 80 pounds, I (and my car's trunk) couldn't handle it any more, casters and all, it didn't roll down or up stairs. It seems everywhere I play we have to contend with steps!!!

If the difference between the Aggie 112 and Epi 212 TONEWISE holds true between the Aggie 410 and Epi 410UL, which some others on this thread seem to believe, and you can afford the EPI, you'll definitely like it more than your Aggie.

For those of you on a little tighter budget, maybe the Schroeder would a good compromise....good cutting tone, save your back over an Aggie/Eden 410 type cab and many others out there, and save your pennies too over some of the other high end cabs like Epi's Bergies, Groovies, etc.

LKaye

17. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Thank you jokerkyny! I got a chance to play one today and I couldn't agree with you more the Epi was more in your face, articulate and crystal clear.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    EDIT: sorry guys, wanted to start over, but joey already quoted me... :meh: still, i added some more thoughts.

lots of great descriptions! i feel almost redundant in posting anything, but, there doesnt seem to be many comments on the UL sound. cause, the UL series does sound very different from the regular NYC series of Epi cabs. on the Epifani website, there's a good description of both.

for my ears, the Aguilar sounds like a cross between the Epi and Eden XLT sound. nice open airy top end, with slightly bumped aggro lower mids. not as edgey as the Eden, but there nonetheless. and while open and airy, not quite as detailed as the NYC Epifani which is champs in my book. still, the aguilar does share some nice detailing and articulation that a good high end bass cab has over the usual Ampeg and SWR cabs i've heard, which now all seem a bit blurry and smeared sounding to me.

the Epifani UL has a more pronounced middle midrange that sounds very stout and much more inyourface, which at first blush would make the NYC and Aguilar seem a bit sucked in. also, that midrange makes for a much more meatie and chewie sound. and again, there's that articulation and detail that's all Epifani. notes never sound smeared together, but are clear as a bell. also, while my Acmes are my low B champs, i love the B sound on my UL, too. very thick, and very present, which is something i hear less and less in other cabs.

and pleez, take this with a grain of salt, cause i know there are 23,423 other things along with the PA/DI sound that affect the sound i'm hearing, but...

at the recent Bass Extremes show, Oteil Burbridge had an all Epifani rig, and i simply LOVED his sound. i could hear every single little nook and cranny of his playing. just gorgeous. VERY different from the more blurred sound of the other Ampeg rigs.

oteil's epi rig was in a somewhat similar detailed vein as Anthony Jackson's Meyer rig, but AJ's rig did have a way more weightier bottom end. still, i think that had more to do with the 15"s of his Meyer setup. all in all, everytime Oteil stepped up, you couldnt wipe the smile from my face. :bassist:

but just the juxtaposition of the Ampeg, Epifani, and Meyer rigs on one stage, really opened my eyes.

i have yet to use an NYC on gig, but i have used my 3x10UL for about a year's worth of gigs, and have also loaned it out to a bud on various ocassions, and whethe onstage or in the audience, the sound is just what i described above: fat, chewy, rich, thick, and with a sweet detail that sounded extradinary with my iAMP-800, my Sadowsky's, and my bud's Fodera fretless 6.

i couldnt imagine a guy being unsatisfied with the Aguilar cabs, but the Epifani's truly make this particular dooder happy. :hyper:

19. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Larry,

Lots of good points, particularly on weight. . . I have to say I would definitely choose an Epi over an Aggie any day of the week, particularly because of the live experiences I've had. The Epi's seem to sit better in the mix, it's like they're always present. That said, I love, LOVE the Schroeder 1210. It's just way more cabinet than I need at the moment. Definitely a different vibe from the Epi's though, and for whatever reasons I've just never liked the Berg's tone. I've heard wonderful things about Jim, and I know they're of the highest quality, I just can't get into 'em. Just wanted to add that. . .

20. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Also good points joker. . . man, I'd have killed to see that show at the Iridium. Oteil's one of my favorites, as is AJ, and I've heard his (AJ's) tone live is absolutely astonishing, that it saturates the room, not overpowering -- balanced, but everywhere. Probably has something to do with that 36 in scale 6 too :D