Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar vs Glockenklang vs EBS (speakers)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 12, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have come to the conclusion that I need a 410 cab. And a cab that has a sound that gets heard in a loud bandmix. My current SWR bigfoot (2x12") is not cutting it and I think its a bit to slow for my taste. I like its low frequencyrespons though.
    Here are the contesters (retailprices):
    EBS 410 $865
    Aguilar 410 $1183
    Glockenklang 410 $1010

The Glockenklang has the best specs and reputation. Ive only tried the EBS and it sounds good. The other two I cant try before buying.

I play Fender J and P basses with an Ashdown head and like a fat warm but clear and pronounsed sound.

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I have a Glockenklang Quattro and have been very happy with it. I would describe it as clear and pronounced and paired with Ashdown it might well be what you're looking for. I first used it with a Fafner and it really sounded killer with some overdrive, but then the F gave up... but that's another story.

The Glock responses well to eq. You can get tons of low-end out of it with a little bass boost. I didn't realize how good the Glock sounds and how loud it actually is, until I used a Hartke 410XL on one gig. I haven't tried the EBS or Aguilar, though.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks! :)
    What kind of music are you using it for? If you have anything else to say about the quattro let me know because there is not much info about these cabs out there.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Glockenklang makes superb cabs, absolutely, and Aguilar is not too bad either. Or Hevos!
    But I can't help saying: you'd better not buy anything without trying!

So, if you can try an EBS, and it's good enough, and you can't try any of the alternatives: buy the EBS!
    Or perhaps 2 pcs of 2x10? Better definition, more portable and flexible, louder - a bit more expensive.

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I play mostly pop-rock, something like Kent meets Toto. As Suburban said, EBS is a good choice since you know how it sounds like. I don't think Glock and EBS sound too different (I've tried 2x10" Gorm) but Glock does produce more lows. I bought mine from musik-produktiv in Germany. Shipping was 100Eur.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The EBS sounded really good in the store at low volume but it lacked some lows. It might be the roomacoustics in the store and that it sounds just fine in a real band. :confused:

Im having second thoughts and will maybe go with an EBS 210 to put on my SWR 212. That way I will have more definition and the SWR will give me plenty of lowend. :confused:

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eek: is that price fer reals? ....sigh....

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, those are the retailprices. I don´t know how much there is to work on the price, though.
    Why you ask? How much are the Aguilar and Glock in the US?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dunno bout the 4x10, but i know the Duo 2x10's are $1400! :eek:

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    $1400 for the 210?
    Cool! Maybe I should buy one just to flash with here on talkbass.:D
    BTW the duo is $740 here.

11. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I picked up my GS410 for under $600.00 (U.S.) The last time I check on Clock's here, I was getting a $1800.00 Price tag :eek: :confused: And to be honest, I don't know why (import charges, crafty salesman??)

I didn't hear any differance between the two to warrent the huge price tag for the clock. I have had the Aggie for a little over a year now and love it! ( I use a Aggie DB728 pwr amp and an Ashdown RPM-1 Pre)

Not banging on Clocks - just too much coin for this poor boy!

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've only tried the EBS, and currently own a 4x10. It's true that the cab only goes down to 70Hz, but I wouldn't let that bother you. In fact, that's plenty low for most applications.

You'll find that this thing cuts through like nobody's business! Really nice cab!

13. Are you trying to say that Glock actually has a Swedish distibutor, or are you just quoting the German prices? I hope for the former, since I'd love to be able to try some Glock equipmement out, without having to go to Germany (not that Germany isn't nice enough, but, well you know what I mean...).

14. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nah, I was going to order it from Germany. But leaning more towards EBS right now because their great availability on the used market here.