Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Vs. Schroeder (Rig plans).

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jan 27, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ok, last thread on cabs. I just want to know the main tone difference between Aguilar's (In particular, a GS412) and Schroeders.
    I'm in an old school hard rock band (Think Zeppelin/Sabbath with a blues lead guitar twist, quite different). So i need big presence, lots of lows out of the amp, and i like a punchy low-mid sound. I'm using an MM Sterling with a warwick head at the moment.

So yeah, if i go schroeder, i'l probably go a 21012 or something, maybe just go a 1012. Band pracs are pretty small, though usually loud (Competing with a marshal/randall stack and fender cybertwin stack). So i don't want to HAVE to get two cabs for a while. I was thinking about getting the aggy and then getting a smaller (Maybe even mini 12 would be perfect) schroeder for band pracs. I do like the aguilar tone..

I'm in Australia, so shipping is an issue, i'd rather not have to get two schroeder cabs right away, as costs would be big, not only the shipping, but the cabs themselves.

I'm leaning towards the aggy + mini 12 at the moment. But i want some opinions, espeically on the aggy cab.

Thanks.

EDIT: The other reason for looking at mini 12's for band prac is the fact that they'd be cheaper to ship. So pretty much compare a schroeder V Aggy for gigs.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    No-one's compared these types of cabs? Come on... Don't be shy :)

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I would speak to Jorg before going any further.

I spoke to him about his 21012 and 410 only to learn that he can only ship his small-box cabs to the UK. This may also be the case with shipping to Oz.

I'd be happy to get my hands on a 1210 though :)

...or I'll maybe homebrew a 410 in a Schroeder styley :D

4. Is that a joke?

Anyway, I like Aguilars over Schroeders, but Schroeders are excellent at "cutting through." Aguilars have a fuller sound, while Schroeders concentrate their might on the part of the signal that is going to end up being heard. I haven't played a Schroeder in a band, only at the store. I did buy the Aguilar and use it in bands, very happily.

5. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    Your bass - I play a Stingray - and your desired sound remind me of, well, me. Here's my take on the GS412.

About a year ago, I replaced an Ampeg 810 (which never really worked for me) with an Aguilar GS412. By comparison, the Aggie is 50 lbs. lighter and much easier to move around, it fits in the back seat of my Maxima, seems very well-engineered and constructed, goes much deeper, has way more punch, gets extremely friggin loud without farting out, and in general eats the 810 for lunch with room left over for a snack. It’s easily one of the best purchases I’ve made.

The Schroeders are one of the few cabs I'd even be interested in trying out, but I haven't heard one.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    c-ba55 - If you mean the blues twist is a joke, no. It's not blues, sorry, but blues influenced. He was also classical trained. I can shoot you an mp3 if you want.

Ampeg66... That's what i like to here. lol. Deep, loud and punchy. I'l have to confirm if i can get one sent over for free with friends. I like how it beats out an ampeg 8x10 :p

Bigwan - I have spoken to Jorg, though just asked about big box's. He can get me a 1212 air shipped here for $1400 Aussie dollars.. That's less than a Workingmans 4x10. So, pretty good.

7. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I'm playing a SR5 through a Schroeder 21012. I'm using a Carving DCM 1000 bridged to power it and a BBE BMax T as a preamp. I love the sound but I definitely could have gotten by with a smaller cab. I'm not dissapointed at all that I got the 21012 though. I like the physical size of it and it will do everything the smaller cab would do and more. If you haven't heard one of these cabs, you will be amazed at the amount of pure sound that you are able to get from them. And it sounds great with my SR5 with TI Flats.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    methinks he means that page was about as blues as you can possibly get - hard to imagine more of a blues twist to led zep - ;)

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Mobay45 - By pure tone, meaning uncoloured/clean sound?

It's kind of hard as i havn't heard a schroeder at all, any one have a sound clip/mp3 of one? Or could someone record one for me?

IvanMike - Yerr, he confused me a bit there.. I'm not quick when i'm up late on these forums. lol.

10. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Does that include GST (10%) and Duty (5%)?

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Aren't Aguilars a bit more scooped sounding, while the Schroeders have a nice lower mid punch?

12. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    In my experience, yep. . .

13. And the fact that Black Sabbath were originally a blues band.

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Nope, but i'm expecting that, as i've imported my sterling as well :)

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    People say the gs412's are punchy though, so what sort of range is the punch coming from? Is it more low end punch, or high mid punch?

What do you guys think would suit my style better?

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had an Aggy 112 a little while back, and it was a good cab, but just didn't pump out the volume like I needed. I had it with a Mesa Powerhouse 1x15 and an M-Pulse had, and it got somewhat loud, but not loud enough. Which isn't entirely fair, as it was only a single-speaker cab. But I liked it's sound alright. I had an ordeal with somehow getting a hold of a prototype model which I sent back to Dave in exchange for the new models, but IMHO, the proto sounded better!! :( Speaker box was more square and the horn and its driver were different, I don't know, but it cut through better and was louder than the more rectangular shape they come in now. At least to my ears, that is.
    I've only played my Schroeder for about 15 minutes, and am already blown away by it.
    It's a tough choice. Both are high-quality, hi-fi, lightweight and portable, and EXCELLENT Customer Service (bought a bass from Jorg and had the whole trade-off thing with Dave B.), so it's really whatever you can get a hold of. I'm probably going to end up with an Aggy pre, quite possibly a DB659, so I'll get the best of both worlds! :D I'd love to get an Aggy 212 to set under my 1210, though. And I might just do that, too.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm in the same pickle right now, trying to decide between the Augilar 4x12 or the Scroeder 3101212.

I'm currently using TWO Auilar 4x10's, and I want just one cab to roll in, and the 10's aren't giving me quite the low end at high volume that I want sometimes.

18. I can't speak for the Schroeder, but the Aggie GS412 will give you all the bottom end at loud levels you could ever want. The more power the better it sounds. There is no comparison with tens when it comes to bowel-movement inducing lows.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, i e-mailed jorg about the 3101212 and he said it'd just be overkill as it's designed for touring and stadium sized gigs etc.
    So i'l be going 21012 or aggy412, considering i can't a/b them, it's a really tough choice. The schroeder wins for overall portablility (The aggy would be easier, except i have stairs to deal with every now and then). I would think (from what i've heard) that the aggy wins in low end. Plus a big cab filled with 12's is just tempting.

Which would be more punchy of the two, which would suit old school hard rock, which would suit funk/reggae/soul most? Which is loudest? Are my questions..

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The Schroeder is as efficient as you can get. The 2 speakers in that little box easy match up to the 6 10's I had up until yesterday in a huge Mesa cab. Don't let the size or amount of speakers fool you. These things are the real deal, and are made to work. I'm not sure how many watts the Aguilar can take, but you can push an awful lot through these smaller Schroeder cabs. Plus, just from me playing around on it in my house so far, I'm telling you it has plenty of low-end. It shakes up stuff pretty good when you turn it up, not even cranking it. It has very focused low-mids, which is why I guess it cuts like it does. I can't wait to gig it this weekend.