Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar vs. SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigseries, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Aguilar GS212

28 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. SWR 12-Pack Rock Box 2x12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigseries

bigseries

Sep 23, 2001
    What do yall prefer?

Aguilar GS212 for $680 or
    SWR 12-Pack Rock Box for $480

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'd say definitely go for the Aguilar.

And if you do get it, be sure to shop around. The lowest price I've seen for a new Aguilar GS212 is $585, you can really good deals on Aggie stuff if you look around for them.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just found out it's 1090 € here :bawl:

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I voted for the Aguilar, but I would say keep your options open to other makers, like Epifani, Bergantino, and Eden. I have seen a couple of used Epifani T-212's go for in that price range, and the Eden 212XLT is a great cab, too. In fact, I have one that I MIGHT be willing to sell (since I have recently acquired a number of Epifani and EA cabs :D ).

Tom.

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I've played through the Aguilar 2X12 and was really quite blown away by it. I think the price is extremely reasonably for the performance the cabinet gives you.

That said, I'd keep my eye open for a used or discontinued Bergantino HT310. Mmmmm. Unless of course you're sold on 12" speakers. I personally did not care for the tone of the Bergantino 212 cabinet, but I LOVE the 310 and moreoever the Bergie HT322. But that's a cool grand.

Aguilar wins hands down at that price point. Or, dare I add an Eden 410XLT? I heard one recently was amazed at how much better it handled a low B string versus an SWR Goliath III. But I muddy the waters.

In the world of the Aguilar cabinet versus SWR. Go Aggie!

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in my humblest of opinions..........
    the epifani 212 is the most phenomenal cab i have played thru
    sadly i did not like the bergie 212 but.........
    the bergie 322 is my 2nd favorite cab

7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    the epifani 212 is the most phenomenal cab i have played thru .. sadly i did not like the bergie 212 but......... the bergie 322 is my 2nd favorite cab

Hey Ivan- I own a Bergie 322. Found it curious it made '2nd place' on your favorite list. I take it your Epifani 212 is first? Wondering what the sonic difference is between them and the reason for your rankings? - Roscoe5

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I sold my SWR Goliath Jr (2x10) and my SWR SOB (1x15) for Aggie cabs. I now own 2 ea Aggie GS112's and an Aggie GS212. In terms of price, weight, portability, and sound, I feel that I made the right decision my going Aguilar.

9. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Another BIG thumbs up for the Aggie 212. I've never played the SWR 12 pack but I'm absolutely in love with my Aggie.

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    roscoe i sent you a mail but
    i thought the 212 by epi had the most commanding presence, but i would be hard pressed to pick a favorite between it and the 322
    i just thought the bergie 212 was too muddy

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ditto...

but for some reason, i cant get enough of two HT112's together! that extra tweeter helps temper that gooey tone.

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i agree joker
    but the bergie 1x12 is (to my ears) a totally different animal than their 2x12
    when the owner of one of the shops i use tried both he called bergantino and said he thought 2 1x12s would sound great.
    they said maybe.....but after they tried it side by side for a while (so he says), they found it was one of their favorite combinations....

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This place seems to sell them for €780.
    http://www.musicians-gear.com/