1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by verdeforiam, Jan 27, 2012.

1. verdeforiam

verdeforiam

Jan 21, 2012
    What can you tell me about your Aguilar equipment, why you have what you have and the overall versitality limitations of the equipment.

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Yo Verdeforiam,

I love Aguilar!

For me,...I was looking for a rig that wouldn't get in my way. I know the sounds of my basses Intimately. I was looking for an amp that wouldn't try to make my bass be something it wasn't.

The 1st time used Aguilar on your everyone noticed the difference right away.

I love the DB series cabinet. It's my sound. I use the DB410 on top of a DB115 on tour. I power that with an AG500. I also have a DB750 but I don't need that much power and I like a 'solid state' sound.

Fir my local rig I use two DB212 powered by an AG500. It sound like the big rig and it's perfect for my smaller local gigs. I also have two SL212 cabs powered by a ToneHammer500. That rig also sounds great. It's perfect for the days when I don't need to as loud.

I haven't found any limitations.

There's also the GS series. To my ears they sound like a 'high end' Rock cab. More midrange than the DB series cabinets.

I recommend that you find some of the better music stores and play as many cabinets as you can.

At bass camp so many people want to play through my rig because it sounds so good.

peace,
    anthony

3. verdeforiam

verdeforiam

Jan 21, 2012
    Thanks Anthony! I think I am looking for more of a rock sound with some grit. I might check out the GS series. What head would you run with? Do you use the Tone Hammer DI stompbox at all?

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    The DB751 may be more of your sound because of the tubes. I love solid state. But everyone is different. The GS are great cabs. The midrange is full.

The TH500 and 350 are great. It's compact and light weight but if you're gonna' loud & proud you should check out the DB751.

-anthony

5. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    I know this question was posed to Anthony but I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in.

I also use a DB750 for larger gigs, (used to own an AG500 which was a wonderful amp that I 'flipped' so I could get the DB750)
    With that I use 2 GS 2x10s (a little old school)

The 'around' town, small gig, theater pit rig is a GS112 and the Tonehammer 500. I've been LOVING the tone hammer 500 with my GS112 (about to get another GS112).

Not trying to 'sell' you on Aguilar gear but I agree with Ant - I get the sound of my bass and don't have to do a lot of knob turning. I just want to plug in and play and I find that Aguilar gear is versatile enough to from many different types of gigs.

Just "my" sound.

Cheers,
    Blyss

6. verdeforiam

verdeforiam

Jan 21, 2012
    I'm really drawn to the Tone Hammer 500 because of the great reviews I keep hearing plus it's small (good for giging). You think it works good with a GS 212. Do you use a Tone Hammer Preamp/DI with any of your rigs?

7. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    Hey - I used to have a tone hammer which was great. I don't have it anymore though. I have used the d/I on the th500. It's a really clean amp. Super versatile and the portability is just and added sweet spot

8. JimL

JimL

Jan 19, 2011
    Cupertino, CA
    I also have a Tone Hammer 500 and a GS 112. It's a very nice setup. It's pretty crazy how much sound comes out of the single GS 112. If I even need more volume, I'd do what Blyss is about to do and get another GS 112 to run in parallel with the first one.

And yes, the Tone Hammer 500 is small -- it fits nicely in the laptop sleeve of a small backpack.

9. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Hi Anthony, I'm using an old Eden Wt-400 and a GS112, I don't know if you've played through any of Eden's stuff but if you have how does it compare with the Aguilar gear? I've been debating about upgrading to a TH-500.

Thanks!

10. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey Henry,

I used to play through Eden gear. This was about 15 years ago. It was nice for the time. They were on the forefront of bass amplification technology. But times change and gear gets better.

I prefer the Aguilar stuff. It works for me. The TH500 is great because it's lightweight. But my main rig is the AG500. It's my sound. But I live the portability of the TH series.

Check out the whole line. The gear is great!

peace,
    anthony

11. Rock sound with grit? That kinda spells Gallien Krueger, notably the RB amp series.