1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar's new DB series cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Does anyone have the scoop on these cabs yet? (besides what's listed on their site)

I'm curious of availability, price, and any info if possible compared to the GS series cabs.

And are these cabs better than the GS or just different?

Are they ported/vented or sealed?

2. I have not seen one yet. I really liked the S series and the web site description of these seems like they are voiced similarly, but are made with plywood instead of MDF and weigh and cost as much as the GS series. The S series was an undiscovered gem, which is probably why they were discontinued. I hope these are as good.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I definitely like the looks of these cabs. Their external dimensions seem pretty compact, too. It doesn't look like there would be room for a front port. Are these cabs sealed, or rear ported? Or front ported in a way that I can't see?

Of course, reports from those who have heard them are mandatory! :D

Tom.

P.S.
    Curious that no weight is listed for the 8x10...

4. Since the 410 is listed as 98 pounds, I'll bet the 810 must weigh at least 150 pounds, maybe more. Given the voicing, the lack of visible front ports and the S series design, I am seriously wondering if they are rear ported.

5. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Gents,

They are rear ported. I played the 810 at NAMM. The term "face melting" comes to mind. Sick low end, delightfully huge volume. Articulation for days, and real midrange punch. I tried a GS412 which was good, but not ugly or punchy enough for me, since in my world it's all about the character of the low-midrange. I preferred my SVT 410HLF's. But these new ones? A TRULY worthy option to replace an SVT810. For a minute, I had two of them powered by a DB750, which was ridiculous. Any consideration I had about rear porting was immediately blown away by 120 or whatever decibels of 40Hz ripping my pantlegs off. I'm serious, these cabs are stunning. I'm about to audition them in real life for a big tour I have coming up.

Best,
    JMJ
    www.justinmj.com

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    big thanks for your input Justin, report back after you start touring with them.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL

OH CRAP,

JMJ, you rock!

and yea, the DB cabs sound like they'll kick a player good. gonna see if i can sneak into the shop next week. stay tuned.

8. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California

Wow, didn't realize what JMJ stood for until I saw the website link, which I've visited. It's nice to actually know what you are talking about concerning the low midrange punch and ugly character that you desire, based on the recording I've heard.
    Good luck with the tour.

9. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Check out this link. Dave B explains on page 2.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236232

10. i cant belive they discontinued the S series will these new cabs be in the S series price range or more like the GS prices?
    dan

11. They are more expensive. The 410 around 950 street price, And the 810 around 1200-1400 street.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow! I had no idea they discontinued the S series... I love my s210 on top of my GS112.

:)