1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Agular DB751, Ampeg SVT 4/5 Pro, Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PauBass, May 11, 2010.

1. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    Here we go:

I'm using a Mesa 400+ with the Preamp valve replaced as recommended here in other posts but there's something with the mids on this amp that I'm not completely happy about...not sure how to explain it but it has been mentioned before in other threads.

I'm seriously thinking of selling it and I have a good chance to get an SVT 4 Pro, SVT 5 Pro or a DB751 for really good prices...Different amps, I know, Mesa all valve head and the other ones not but, in your experience what would you recommend?

I have to say I like to have a bit of dirt in my sound, not much but have that break up in my tone.
    I run my amp through a Bergantino NV610 and I now mainly use a Fernades Deluxe Gravity 5 strings and sometimes a Sadowsky UV70 or Fender Geddy.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    The 400+ is a naturally scooped mid amp. 10 is flat.
    I say you sell that, and look for an Orange AD200. There's one for a great price in the classifieds. **I am not associated in any way with that sale other than mentioning it**

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    both the ampegs and the aggie will do it, though tonally it's up to you which one you like the best. the mesa has a fender tone stack, which requires settings of like 2/10/2 to get a flatter response out of it.

4. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    Yes, I'm aware of the flat setting for the 400 but there's something about how the mid ring that I'm not really enjoying, it's not the case of sounding scooped.

5. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    my experience with the 4 pro was that it sounded too clean. 3 pro and 7 pro had much more grit.

6. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Not sure if it's same for the DB751 but the DB750 doesn't make very good dirt by itself. The gain in the preamp section will give you some rawness and fat sustain, but pushing it past noon for dirt is not so good. That being said, the preamp section does play very well with an external overdrive pedal without losing it's signature full-figured sound.